Polish Crested - what color?

Wolfwoman

Songster
9 Years
May 5, 2010
Chickaloon, Alaska
56593_13sept10_023.jpg

It's Ideal Hatchery's (or if another hatchery is now trying it. . . ) "Red Crested Red" a project color they've been working on. It isn't a recognized color or anything, nor is it purebred polish. Looks like they're headed in a decent direction though.

Well I bought him from a local hatchery here, but I do think that they buy from Ideal. What would he have in him that isn't Polish? He sure is silly enough to be a purebred
wink.png

Quote:
Read what the other person above said about Ideal creating a new color...which is cool! Now I'm interested in what else is in him!

He looks like this bird from the site you have... just less black... and his crest has been picked...
somad.gif

btr1.bmp

Last edited:
Quote:
Ideal started this color just a few years ago, crossing Leghorns to Polish. Of course, a lot of colors begin as crossbreds, but I think hatcheries should be the last ones to do such thing and call it good. If they can't even get their APA recognized colors right, why start a new one?
wink.png

Otherwise - the color isn't anything, really, but red. I don't see much true resemblance to any current color on other breeds but perhaps a cross between a partridge bird and a "red" like a RIR or production red. Also, didn't he start out almost striped in color as a chick? Meaning he's got partridge, duckwing, or BBR behind him. Not "red," which is what hatcheries call it. In otherwords - They're not done with the project.

As for body - His crest is as usual rather small, and his body reminds me a lot of an Easter Egger. Which ironically, Ideal hatchery has done before. (try and cross EEs to Polish to make a new color)

Now don't think I'm trying to put him down entirely, just describing him according to how an APA recognized Polish color ought to be.

Oh no troubles on letting me know, he IS a hatchery bird. But, his crest is picked, it WAS a tad fuller, however nowhere near as full as most Polish. Let me see if I can find some baby pics of him.

Quote:
Yep, just as I thought. A "red" bird should be solid yellow as a chick, and solid red but perhaps with a black tail as an adult. A partridge bird should look a tad like that, but be black and red double-laced as an adult. A red columbian should also be solid yellow as a chick, and solid red but with a black neck and tail as an adult. Now, notice how none of what I listed match your polish as both chick and bird.
wink.png

They're a work in progress that so far looks like the hatchery called "finished," yet the color to me just looks like a cross.

Still, he is cute.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom