Polish Gender help

hollymh

*A Scrambled Egg*
10 Years
Feb 8, 2009
Texas
At a loss, I have two one was for sure a boy but this one is an unknown... Guesses? It's just around for looks but I would love for "it" to be a girl... About 12 wks old now

Last edited:

Stiggy

Songster
5 Years
Apr 29, 2014
New Zealand
one way to identify the gender of chickens ( once they are feathered) is to look at the combs, lobes and the 'rump' feathers. If they are pointy/ taper to a point then its likely / definitely likely to be a boy. if the feathers are softly rounded then its a girl. the problem with differing breeds is that some have very different wattles and combs so they aren't a reliable source unless you know a lot about that particular breed. However in saying that, from the comb of this polish I would say that its a girl ( and its lack of wattles also suggest this) however the tail feathers aren't very clear. Could you post a pic of the ' rump' to tail feathers?

hollymh

*A Scrambled Egg*
10 Years
Feb 8, 2009
Texas
one way to identify the gender of chickens ( once they are feathered) is to look at the combs, lobes and the 'rump' feathers. If they are pointy/ taper to a point then its likely / definitely likely to be a boy. if the feathers are softly rounded then its a girl. the problem with differing breeds is that some have very different wattles and combs so they aren't a reliable source unless you know a lot about that particular breed. However in saying that, from the comb of this polish I would say that its a girl ( and its lack of wattles also suggest this) however the tail feathers aren't very clear. Could you post a pic of the ' rump' to tail feathers?

hollymh

*A Scrambled Egg*
10 Years
Feb 8, 2009
Texas
WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! I won the chicken LOTTERY!!! lol I only ordered 3, one perished and the other was a roo for sure so this is exciting! It's actually my husbands chick, he calls her Pompous bc she reminds him of pompous grass lol

He was pretty excited to have a hen, as am I, Thanks guy!!!

Top Bottom