Polish head feathers being pecked at

TheCoopOnShine

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2020
We have a polish rooster who has an awesome head of long hair. He reminds me of an 80's rocker. The problem is that we have one hen in particular that pecks at the feathers on his head while they're in the coop at night. It doesn't seem like she pecks at him aggressively, but nonetheless, he's missing feathers and the middle of his head gets bloody from his broken quills. We've been keeping him in the house at night, but that's the only solution we've found so far.

Any other solutions or advice to keep the hen from pecking at his head?? Thanks in advance!

IMG-0482.JPG IMG-0478.JPG

Hmm, I know the RIR can be very attracted to the feathers on Polish out of pure curiosity, and peck them. I don't really know how to get hem to stop, unless you drenched his entire head of hair in peck no more, I don't have a lot of ideas. To help with wound heal, you can cleanse it with some warm water and saline solution if you have it. Then you can squirt Vetrycin, and apply Neosporin. There are toys like this that might take there mind off his head, but it may just make them want to pluck him more. I have never owned Polish, just know that I know from here. Good luck with him, Avery a

What are your other breeds? My polish are the lowest ranking of all my chickens. The rooster doesn't even crow and mostly hangs alone or with the geese. Some breeds are too much to be with a polish. I keep mine with bantam cochins and favorelles. My little bantam cochin rooster is the top roo for sure.

Is he younger than the pecker......did they grow up together?
How old are both these birds, in weeks or months?
Is there enough roost space for him to get away from her at roost time?

Thinking it's more about pecking order than hairdo attraction.
Tho those floppy topped birds are at a distinct disadvantage because they can't hardly see and that makes them much more susceptible to pecking order injuries.

Is he younger than the pecker......did they grow up together?
How old are both these birds, in weeks or months?
Is there enough roost space for him to get away from her at roost time?

Thinking it's more about pecking order than hairdo attraction.
Tho those floppy topped birds are at a distinct disadvantage because they can't hardly see and that makes them much more susceptible to pecking order injuries.

The pecker and him are the same age and did grow up together. They are 5 months old. There is enough space for him to get away from her in the coop, but he seems to just stay there and let her peck on his feathers. Then hen that pecks at him is his favorite hen...he follows her around, always protects her, squawks if you pick her up and they roost next to each other every night. It's almost like he allows her to peck his head because he likes her so much. We have two roosters and he's definitely the alpha, so it's odd that he doesn't protect himself in this case.

I agree, does pick no more come in a spray? Because if it does, then maybe you can sprits his whole head and it will taste bad so they won't peck it?🙃 Can you tell I've never owned Polish!😁

I've never used peck no more, but I will look into that! Thanks for the suggestion! :)

Sounds like polish chickens really need there own space, if the breed has such a mellow behavior. Some of the common breeds seem too aggressive to be placed with mellow ones.
Good point.
What are your other breeds? My polish are the lowest ranking of all my chickens. The rooster doesn't even crow and mostly hangs alone or with the geese. Some breeds are too much to be with a polish. I keep mine with bantam cochins and favorelles. My little bantam cochin rooster is the top roo for sure.

We have brahmas, easter and olive eggers, a wellsummer, a polish of course and a cochin bantam. The one that pecks at him is a legbar crossed with an egger we think because she lays blueish green eggs.

Funny that your bantam is the top roo! Our bantam was for a couple weeks, until our Polish outgrew him and became the Alpha. We have to make sure the bantam roo gets fed because the Polish chases him away from the feed.

Good point.

We have brahmas, easter and olive eggers, a wellsummer, a polish of course and a cochin bantam. The one that pecks at him is a legbar crossed with an egger we think because she lays blueish green eggs.

Funny that your bantam is the top roo! Our bantam was for a couple weeks, until our Polish outgrew him and became the Alpha. We have to make sure the bantam roo gets fed because the Polish chases him away from the feed.
Interesting! Well have you tried separating her? Sometimes putting a chicken who is doing the bad thing alone for awhile will reset the order and they will come in and be reassigned so to speak.

Back
Top Bottom