Polish hen scratching herself to death- need help ASAP!

I would be tempted to use some ivermectin pour on or Ivomec 0.1 ml per every 2 pounds of weight on the back on her neck along the spine, just in case she could have scaly face mites or other mite that is not easy to see. Make sure the product is 5 mg per ml, and the cattle medicine is fine to use on chickens. Repeat in 14 days. Toss her eggs for 14 days after treatment. Vaseline can also be applied to the face scabs to smother mites. What do you feed her?

Last edited:
Aw... she's such a beautiful bird! None of our chickens have ever had this issue, so I can't be much help. As per some of the advice here, I would keep trying to integrate her with the others or get a few new Polish chicks to hang out with.

She may be scared of her larger flock mates and they might occasionally peck at her, but chickens are such social animals. If you rule out parasites, etc. like you have (I'm so impressed by your care for this bird!), then it seems you could slowly try to integrate her. We currently have Phoenixes, Crevecoeurs and Fayoumis mixed in with some pretty rowdy standard breeds and there's been no problem.
That is def the goal but she’s <2lbs so we’re afraid a bird will kill her. As soon as I can get the “scratching until she bleeds” then I will get her a friend. As you know blood is a no-go with multiple birds. :(

Poor baby this may sound wierd but would those silicone caps for cats claws work to cover her nails ? might prevent more damage until the underlying issues is figured out . I wish you the best of luck with her.
We’ve been wrapping her feet spread apart in gauze so it looks like she has webbed duck feet, and that helps. She was doing good for a while without the wraps then boom back at square one again. I’m afraid she’d try to eat the silicone caps lol She’s super curious, and since she’s been so hand fed and spoiled, she’s constantly looking in our hands for treats lol

I would be tempted to use some ivermectin pour on or Ivomec 0.1 ml per every 2 pounds of weight on the back on her neck along the spine, just in case she could have scaly face mites or other mite that is not easy to see. Make sure the product is 5 mg per ml, and the cattle medicine is fine to use on chickens. Repeat in 14 days. Toss her eggs for 14 days after treatment. Vaseline can also be applied to the face scabs to smother mites. What do you feed her?
I have safeguard but I’ll pick up some ivermectin this weekend from Tractor Supply. She’s never laid an egg but she’s still <1 year old and <2 lbs. We’ve got medicated cream for her scabs but do you think Vaseline would be better? She eats scratch grain, protein pellets, scrambled eggs, apple sauce, organic yogurt, tuna (no soy), and meal worms.

I have safeguard but I’ll pick up some ivermectin this weekend from Tractor Supply. She’s never laid an egg but she’s still <1 year old and <2 lbs. We’ve got medicated cream for her scabs but do you think Vaseline would be better? She eats scratch grain, protein pellets, scrambled eggs, apple sauce, organic yogurt, tuna (no soy), and meal worms.
I'm not sure about vaseline, but you can use non-pain relieving neosporin. That works well in my experience.

I would use Vaseline, just because if it is scaly face mites then Vaseline will smother them and hopefully help to get rid of them. I am so sorry you are going through this, but I can say that @Eggcessive is a really smart member, and I would definitely take her advice. I really hope she gets better soon, and you are doing an amazing job with her! She knows she is loved! :hugs

I’ve got some of that, too. Thank you. Based on her injuries at this point, do you or anyone else think a shot of duramycin in the muscle is needed? That’s been our go-to in the past.
I've never needed to inject any duramycin in my chickens, thank goodness, so I'd wait until more people chip in. How is she doing though? @Weeg @Eggcessive @SulkyBantam can any of you help? You guys are pretty experienced.

I've never needed to inject any duramycin in my chickens, thank goodness, so I'd wait until more people chip in. How is she doing though? @Weeg @Eggcessive @SulkyBantam can any of you help? You guys are pretty experienced.
I have no idea about the Duramycin, by @Eggcessive can probably help with that. I would hold doff until she can answer that question. I will also tag poem other experts. @Wyorp Rock @Overo Mare @azygous @casportpony Hopefully you have some ideas?

Back
Top Bottom