Polish hen scratching herself to death- need help ASAP!

Lauras010

In the Brooder
Feb 24, 2021
I apologize in advance as this will be long. I have a polish hen for Meyer hatchery that has been scratching herself to death since August of 2020. She has been living indoors mostly and has her own personal coop outside. Zero interaction with the other birds from her hatch group as they are 4 times her size. She’s been to two different veterinarians and a local chicken rescue. She will not stop scratching at her neck. In august, it was thought that maybe it was a slight infection in a scratch by the first vet. Antibiotic cream was administered as prescribed. (Fecal matter was checked, clean as a whistle, and no mites what so ever.) Fast forward to October the scratch/cut itself healed but she didn’t stop scratching. Local chicken rescue checked over her, still no mites, but it appeared she had a double ear infection. Ears were cleaned, and she got a second shot of antibiotics. Cream was to be applied to the ears per the next Vet. Fast forward 6 weeks later, ears were healed but she was still scratching. She has been wearing gauze shoes to prevent herself from “gutting” herself with her claws. When she has a scratching fit, she will flail her self all over as if she’s having a seizure. She’s eating and drinking fine, poop is fine, and gets special treats like yogurt, applesauce, and cooked eggs. Chicken rescue discovered the “cut/scratch” looked infected. It was cleaned thoroughly, she got another round of shots, and another pair of gauze shoes. We continued to apply medicated cream to cut, AND since her skin was now dry/flaky- we put a special kind of lotion to her neck where her missing feathers were. We live in the Panhandle of Fl, and This has been one of the coldest winters In the 12 years that I’ve lived here. She’s been inside a cage in my daughters room all winter, taken outside to her coop for some sunlight only in the afternoons and brought back inside. She seemed to be getting better, still scratching but not as bad to where she was causing herself to bleed until yesterday. She managed to open a giant gash on the side of her neck again. Blood everywhere. I’ve wrapped her feet back in gauze shoes, and wrapper her neck lightly with gauze to stop the bleeding. I will be cleaning the sore tonight but didn’t want to traumatize her any further right now. Help!! I’m at my wits end as to what to do!? We have dispatched I’ll birds in the past, but this dang polish is like family now. (She came inside originally bc of Hurricane Sally, and we’re just smitten with her.) I’m letting her hang out in living room/kitchen with me while I clean to monitor her and she’s walking around quietly. She’s not showing much interest in eating or drinking right now, but did drink a bit of water after dipping her beak. What could possibly be going on with her? (Oh also- we’ve crushed vitamin D3 and B2 to put on her food as well.) I’ve included a photo to show her dry skin and can post a photo of the wound as well after I clean it. (Her beak has been trimmed multiple times, too) Once again, I apologize for the rambling- I’m stressed out and losing my mind with this bird.

Attachments

• 8595C2A2-F3E4-40AD-BDB6-1C002A086083.jpeg
    8595C2A2-F3E4-40AD-BDB6-1C002A086083.jpeg
    471.6 KB · Views: 69
  • C73019D5-EA77-45CF-8F42-19E5EE8C9164.jpeg
    C73019D5-EA77-45CF-8F42-19E5EE8C9164.jpeg
    300.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 8EABF3FE-6F36-4A58-BAF6-CC035C7440F9.jpeg
    8EABF3FE-6F36-4A58-BAF6-CC035C7440F9.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
  • 50924A64-F791-4435-A029-253EC4352733.jpeg
    50924A64-F791-4435-A029-253EC4352733.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
  • 32F2A93F-A474-48A8-8C24-330E4D2D7451.jpeg
    32F2A93F-A474-48A8-8C24-330E4D2D7451.jpeg
    469.6 KB · Views: 31
She has been living indoors mostly and has her own personal coop outside. Zero interaction with the other birds from her hatch group as they are 4 times her size... She’s been inside a cage in my daughters room all winter, taken outside to her coop for some sunlight only in the afternoons and brought back inside. She seemed to be getting better, still scratching but not as bad to where she was causing herself to bleed...

Could it be partly boredom and loneliness?
Chickens usually do best when they have other chickens for company.
And chickens like to spend a lot of their time scratching in the dirt, foraging for food, dustbathing, and preening. The scratching, foraging and dustbathing might be difficult indoors, but maybe more time outdoors could help, now that the weather is warming up.

And maybe you could let her interact with the other chickens through a wire divider, so she's safe but not alone.

(Of course there could also be some underlying medical problem, but I have no idea what it might be, so I don't have any suggestions there.)

I would be tempted to use some ivermectin pour on or Ivomec 0.1 ml per every 2 pounds of weight on the back on her neck along the spine, just in case she could have scaly face mites or other mite that is not easy to see. Make sure the product is 5 mg per ml, and the cattle medicine is fine to use on chickens. Repeat in 14 days. Toss her eggs for 14 days after treatment. Vaseline can also be applied to the face scabs to smother mites. What do you feed her?

Last edited:
As soon as I can get the “scratching until she bleeds” then I will get her a friend. As you know blood is a no-go with multiple birds. :(
You could get her a friend now, and put them in adjacent cages or pens. That way they can start getting to know each other, but no-one gets hurt.

Look-no-touch for days or weeks is a common way to begin introducing chickens, and it's safe to do even if one has blood on her because of the no-touch part.

And if her scratching is caused by loneliness or boredom, having a new chicken nearby might help her quit doing it.

Could it be partly boredom and loneliness?
Chickens usually do best when they have other chickens for company.
And chickens like to spend a lot of their time scratching in the dirt, foraging for food, dustbathing, and preening. The scratching, foraging and dustbathing might be difficult indoors, but maybe more time outdoors could help, now that the weather is warming up.

And maybe you could let her interact with the other chickens through a wire divider, so she's safe but not alone.

(Of course there could also be some underlying medical problem, but I have no idea what it might be, so I don't have any suggestions there.)
Polish are known for being very social birds so that could be the case. I work from home bc of the pandemic and she’s constantly with me if it’s ugly outside or scratching in her coop if it’s pretty. She’s terrified of the other hens bc they are so much larger than she is. :( She does tolerate/enjoy the company of my 16 year old cat (supervised of course). I’ve considered getting her a “friend”- some other type of bantam hen that is her side but was wanting to get to the bottom of this issues first.

Back
Top Bottom