Polish hen scratching herself to death- need help ASAP!

We’ve got medicated cream for her scabs but do you think Vaseline would be better?
You're doing such a great job caring for her and narrowing down possible ailments.

We don't use Vaseline on people or animals because it's made from petroleum. If it's available in your area, you might want to try Waxelene.

You're doing such a great job caring for her and narrowing down possible ailments.

We don't use Vaseline on people or animals because it's made from petroleum. If it's available in your area, you might want to try Waxelene.
Thank you for that! We don’t use it on ourselves either lol and typically use coconut oil. I’ll look for waxelene, too. :)

This is her personal coop and it’s clean as can be. AND this is the blood/tissue loss when she “cuts herself open.”

Attachments

• E7D0771D-47D7-4F2D-8A8C-B70A2BDBD009.jpeg
    E7D0771D-47D7-4F2D-8A8C-B70A2BDBD009.jpeg
    680 KB · Views: 33
  • 42FCEB69-4185-4A50-89DD-1A28BC3E1A42.jpeg
    42FCEB69-4185-4A50-89DD-1A28BC3E1A42.jpeg
    299.1 KB · Views: 37
The vet gave our dog Benadryl for itching but I am not sure if it is safe for chickens. It did wonders for the dog. I hope someone has a solution here, you have worked hard to help her. She is a lucky girl

Aw... she's such a beautiful bird! None of our chickens have ever had this issue, so I can't be much help. As per some of the advice here, I would keep trying to integrate her with the others or get a few new Polish chicks to hang out with.

She may be scared of her larger flock mates and they might occasionally peck at her, but chickens are such social animals. If you rule out parasites, etc. like you have (I'm so impressed by your care for this bird!), then it seems you could slowly try to integrate her. We currently have Phoenixes, Crevecoeurs and Fayoumis mixed in with some pretty rowdy standard breeds and there's been no problem.
That is def the goal but she’s <2lbs so we’re afraid a bird will kill her. As soon as I can get the “scratching until she bleeds” then I will get her a friend. As you know blood is a no-go with multiple birds. :(

I would be tempted to use some ivermectin pour on or Ivomec 0.1 ml per every 2 pounds of weight on the back on her neck along the spine, just in case she could have scaly face mites or other mite that is not easy to see. Make sure the product is 5 mg per ml, and the cattle medicine is fine to use on chickens. Repeat in 14 days. Toss her eggs for 14 days after treatment. Vaseline can also be applied to the face scabs to smother mites. What do you feed her?
I have safeguard but I’ll pick up some ivermectin this weekend from Tractor Supply. She’s never laid an egg but she’s still <1 year old and <2 lbs. We’ve got medicated cream for her scabs but do you think Vaseline would be better? She eats scratch grain, protein pellets, scrambled eggs, apple sauce, organic yogurt, tuna (no soy), and meal worms.

Back
Top Bottom