Polish? Houdan?

Thank you! 3 for 3! I guess I'll have to let her know she's no longer Polish :gig
lol!
sorry I had to share this... This was my old Frizzle Polish... He was such a character!:gig
IMG_20170211_142112_1.jpg

She's quite white for one so young. At each moult they get more white on them. I love our Houdan and one of ours is our very gentle and fair leader of the flock. Enjoy her!
That makes sense! She was definitely much darker as a chick. She's a very inquisitive and quirky chicken who loves to chat and groom my hair. Although she's not high up in the pecking order, she definitely isn't a pushover. I'm curious to see if she will bloom into a gentle + fair leader like yours!
20170611_184319 (2).jpg

This pretty girl was hatched from eggs I sourced from a local breeder. I always assumed she was a Polish, until one day I noticed she had 5 toes instead of 4. Then I realized her poof wasn't as long or pointy as my other Polish either! After some digging around on the web, I came across a blog where a chicken owner posted a pic of a near identical chicken who had to be entered in a poultry show as a Houdan due to having 5 toes also. What do you guys think?
View attachment 1272835 View attachment 1272836 View attachment 1272837
She looks more like a Polish/Houdan mix to me than pure Houdan. Some of her feathers toward the back look almost barred and she has a lot more white in the plumage than one would expect. Body type also looks more Polish than Houdan. Houdan hens should look something like a Dorking with a crest, beard and muffs. It's a heavier breed.

She looks more like a Polish/Houdan mix to me than pure Houdan. Some of her feathers toward the back look almost barred and she has a lot more white in the plumage than one would expect. Body type also looks more Polish than Houdan. Houdan hens should look something like a Dorking with a crest, beard and muffs. It's a heavier breed.
Wow thank you! I got the eggs from a Polish breeder so that makes a lot of sense. Her body shape is quite unique and different from my other Polish too. She has a very round and dense body which thins out to a sharp point near her tail, very drastic. Similarly, she lays very round eggs with a sharp pointed end! :idunno

Wow thank you! I got the eggs from a Polish breeder so that makes a lot of sense. Her body shape is quite unique and different from my other Polish too. She has a very round and dense body which thins out to a sharp point near her tail, very drastic. Similarly, she lays very round eggs with a sharp pointed end! :idunno
Well whatever she is she's very pretty and unusual looking. Cool chicken!

Back
Top Bottom