Polish lost and found

Awww! I love her!!! What a lucky find, and as far as I can tell, Polish girls are TOTAL divas! My Dinah and Sylvia (the one in my profile pic) like to practice opera all day. Sylvia is especially loud :lau . I‘ll pick Sylvia up to hold her and she’ll just let her wing hang down (because it just takes too much effort to hold it in place). I just LOVE them to pieces :love.
What do their voices sound like? She has this quiet, high-pitched voice when she is talking that doesn't sound at all like a chicken. Sounds like a canary. She does sound more like a chicken when she is unhappy, like when I can't find cucumbers at the store! One time I was sitting out there and she heard something and growled. Sounded just like a small dog. I can't hold her. I can pick her up and move her when I'm cleaning. She will sit beside me, but doesn't like being held at all. My husband holds her while I trim her crest so she can see, and she is good about that. She squeezes her eyes shut until I'm finished. The first time I did it, I thought she was blind and panicked! Then she opened her eyes and looked at me. I do wish I could hold her though.

Try sprinkling a few mealworms around you and in your lap. It may take a few days or weeks but she will eventually get in your lap. Good luck!
Thank you! I will try that with live ones, she only eats dried as a last resort. She does stand on my feet if she sees me heading for the door. I guess she thinks those 4 lbs are going to hold me down!

What do their voices sound like? She has this quiet, high-pitched voice when she is talking that doesn't sound at all like a chicken. Sounds like a canary. She does sound more like a chicken when she is unhappy, like when I can't find cucumbers at the store! One time I was sitting out there and she heard something and growled. Sounded just like a small dog. I can't hold her. I can pick her up and move her when I'm cleaning. She will sit beside me, but doesn't like being held at all. My husband holds her while I trim her crest so she can see, and she is good about that. She squeezes her eyes shut until I'm finished. The first time I did it, I thought she was blind and panicked! Then she opened her eyes and looked at me. I do wish I could hold her though.
Just keep working with her and talking to her. I held Sylvia and Dinah from the day I got them, so I can just walk up to them and pick them up. Sometimes they wiggle when they want me to set them down, and sometimes they will jump in my lap for a nap (if all the other girls aren’t already there).
The sound she makes I like to call chicken-wauling (I really need to start posting my chicken drama clips to Youtube so I can link them here ...). It’s like a loud, almost complainy sound - not the ‘egg song’ but often happens when they need to lay an egg - though Sylvia likes to sing all the time. Anyhoo, here are some pictures of my little Polish beans.

14DBA871-ED68-4D1E-9A45-F487B6FD3C28.jpeg
D9B6D7E3-C502-4F90-8598-C6E781C94895.jpeg
D54B594C-D63F-4CC8-A005-F44149A04CD5.jpeg
5B89EFD5-B572-4F33-ACE5-9D2758385BDD.jpeg
F8BE3F06-2354-48CF-8041-631720A08588.jpeg
E0D4A855-1299-4461-9CF0-9D83079236B5.jpeg

Just keep working with her and talking to her. I held Sylvia and Dinah from the day I got them, so I can just walk up to them and pick them up. Sometimes they wiggle when they want me to set them down, and sometimes they will jump in my lap for a nap (if all the other girls aren’t already there).
The sound she makes I like to call chicken-wauling (I really need to start posting my chicken drama clips to Youtube so I can link them here ...). It’s like a loud, almost complainy sound - not the ‘egg song’ but often happens when they need to lay an egg - though Sylvia likes to sing all the time. Anyhoo, here are some pictures of my little Polish beans.

View attachment 2631193View attachment 2631194View attachment 2631196View attachment 2631197View attachment 2631198View attachment 2631199
Gorgeous!! Thank you for your post. I love them!

:welcome

Great job rescuing her! She sounds pretty happy.
If you can, definitely try to replace the chicken wire with hardware cloth. Chicken wire isn’t the best at keeping predators out, and certain ones can still reach through to grab your chicken. As for food, have you tried flock raiser, grower, or all flock feed? I’ve heard that chickens tend to like those types better than layer. I feed my birds flock raiser (with separate oyster shells for egg laying).

:welcome

Great job rescuing her! She sounds pretty happy.
If you can, definitely try to replace the chicken wire with hardware cloth. Chicken wire isn’t the best at keeping predators out, and certain ones can still reach through to grab your chicken. As for food, have you tried flock raiser, grower, or all flock feed? I’ve heard that chickens tend to like those types better than layer. I feed my birds flock raiser (with separate oyster shells for egg laying).
What brand do you use? I've tried so many. Luckily have a friend with chickens, so he is happy to take the feed she won't eat. So far nothing has been able to get to her. She flys up to a shelf and sleeps on a bag of hay, about 6 ft off the ground. I put fresh hay up there daily for her to sleep on. We do have critters though. I trap and relocate them. Quite counting after 100. Mostly armadillos, possums and raccoons.

Back
Top Bottom