Polish roo or hen??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Redrock, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Redrock

Redrock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2014
    I'm new to chickens and have fallen in love with the Polish breed. I have recently acquired two. From two different sellers.

The first one (red one) I bought as a pullet/hen, supposed to be about 8 months old. After doing more research, I'm thinking rooster?

[​IMG]

This next one I bought as a young rooster, approximately 6 - 7 months of age. I'm thinking hen on this one? What are other opinions as to sex? I don't know why these next two pictures are sideways. They are upright in my pictures on my computer and I don't see a way to rotate them on here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You are right about the first one; it is a rooster. I can't see the second one very well. Can you post a full body profile of it?

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Yes I think your right. The red one a roo and the black a pullet. I have polish too and love them they are super little birds. Have 25 at the minute although 10 are chicks only hatched in last couple of days. All of various colours and some frizzle ones. Good luck with your two maybe you could hatch some eggs when they are a little older?

4. Redrock

Jun 13, 2014
    Here is another picture of the white crested one. It's currently indoors and I'm having a hard time getting a decent picture! And another sideways picture. :( This chicken virtually has no wattles and no comb either.

[​IMG]

5. Redrock

Jun 13, 2014
    I'm really looking forward to hatching some Polish in the future. Once I determine for sure what I have here, I will be in the market for a few more.

6. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Red is a rooster, the white crested black is a hen.

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Thanks for posting the better pic. It's a bit of a strain to look at it sideways, but she looks like pullet. You can breed the two of them and get some Polish chicks. :eek:)

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The red bird is a cockerel, and the other looks like a pullet.

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The first one is definitely a cockerel, but the second one appears to be a pullet.

10. Redrock

Jun 13, 2014
    Thank you so much for your responses. I have thought the same thing. So, I guess some name changes are in order. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by