Polish Roo Pecked & Injured

2riversfarmgrl

Hatching
10 Years
Aug 30, 2009
Hey~ My 6 month old polish rooster has a quarter sized bloody open wound on the top side of his tail feathers. He is the only rooster, only polish, out of 7 other pullet/hens (some just laying others not yet). I have seperated him from all the others. My question is if when his wound heals and I put him back with the flock, will they likely continue to peck him? Need advice. Thank you.

Quote:
Well first, be sure to clean the wound well, and treat it with neosporin or a bit of blue-cote. If you put him out too early, not only is the wound susceptible to flies (and maggots) but also pecking. I'd give it a good couple of days with it coated and protected well against flies, and then once it dries over and hardens a bit (I call this 'skinning over' oddly even though it takes longer for the skin to actually granulate and cover, but the wound top becomes more leathery) then he should be safe for a trial run with his girls again.

How did the wound hpapen?

Hey~
I am not sure how the wound happened. It looks like the others pecked away his feathers down to blood on one side and tried the same on the other side but I got to him before blood was drawn. He's a willy guy so I am just spraying the general area with anti-biotic spray--not good enough huh?

Back
Top Bottom