Polish Rooster (?)

navasima

Songster
8 Years
Aug 6, 2011
New Mexico
This bird is being given away as a free rooster. I asked how she knew for sure at 8 weeks and she said that she could just tell...
She also has light Brahma pullets that she got from a hatchery (don't know which) - also free to good home - also 8 weeks.
I'm going to see them on Friday - never hurts to look - right?
Do y'all suppose that this is a 2 month old roo?

102722_free_rooster.jpg

not arguing - truly asking - what is "rooish" about him? Am I looking at breed specific indicators or general gender things that more experienced eyes than mine see?
I must admit - I'm rather taken by his looks.......
smile.png

Quote:
my dad raised polish for years- all of his roosters had spikey top notches, and the hens had nice rounded feathers on top. This one is pretty easy to spot, IMO- definitely a roo.

This is my White Crested Blue polish pullet at 4 weeks (her puff is much larger now at 6 weeks). The pullets have "rounded puffs"- that are even- like a cotton ball.

95142_chickens3_059.jpg

Last edited:
Great! Now I'm enamoured of the looks of another breed! Enablers!!
big_smile.png

Thanks for the responses. I think I'm doomed if that little boy looks nice in person. Now - I've read that Polish are a bit shy. Do y'all find this to be true overall? How is it to have just one of this breed in the flock?

Quote:
They'll get picked on. You should have more than just one. But if you're only getting a polish roo- he might be just fine. Maybe someone else has had a bad experience, but the roos are gentle and sweet.
smile.png
I'd get him!!!

Back
Top Bottom