Polish Roosters?

Henny0831

Chirping
Jul 24, 2019
Are these ladies actually both roosters? Does anyone have experience with Polish roosters? What’s their temperament like? My kids have been attached to these fluffy heads since we’ve gotten them!

Attachments

• 40B0FF36-B015-42F5-A168-AC9356E68E29.jpeg
    40B0FF36-B015-42F5-A168-AC9356E68E29.jpeg
    497.2 KB · Views: 9
  • B9006FC3-4FD3-4C63-BFA6-2C63B2801008.jpeg
    B9006FC3-4FD3-4C63-BFA6-2C63B2801008.jpeg
    520.5 KB · Views: 3
My polish rooster was a peaceful, gentle soul until he hit around 10 months to 1 year old mark. Then he became a brutal, evil tyrant who attacks everyone. My polish hen is still sweet and gentle. But I am replacing the rooster. It maybe isn't is fault he is this way, as my 3 year old son terrorized him a bit. (I still think it's just hormones kicking in though.) The rooster now bullies my kid so badly though, we are not putting up with it as he scratched my son's face going after his eyes. He also put holes in my ankles with his spurs. I'm sure not all polish roos are this way, but he's the only polish I've had. :/ Also had a bad experience with a rhode island red rooster. Good experience with a pheonix/BYM roo.

My polish rooster was a peaceful, gentle soul until he hit around 10 months to 1 year old mark. Then he became a brutal, evil tyrant who attacks everyone. My polish hen is still sweet and gentle. But I am replacing the rooster. It maybe isn't is fault he is this way, as my 3 year old son terrorized him a bit. (I still think it's just hormones kicking in though.) The rooster now bullies my kid so badly though, we are not putting up with it as he scratched my son's face going after his eyes. He also put holes in my ankles with his spurs. I'm sure not all polish roos are this way, but he's the only polish I've had. :/ Also had a bad experience with a rhode island red rooster. Good experience with a pheonix/BYM roo.
What she said ☝🏻

My Mr. Peabody, a White-Crested Black, was anti-human from the day we got him a year ago, but didn't start "getting his Rooster" on until the late end of winter this year. We now have a come-to-Jesus meeting every few days ... basically, when he comes at me I pin him to the ground at his head and body, forcing him into a submission squat, for about 1 minute ... and he rememberes his manners (for a while). I find when I do it when his girls can see, his memory works better, but he's also gone off in a pout a few times, off property, and had to spend the night "out in the wild". If I have to go rescue him, he's much more submissive for a longer period of time than if I just call him and he finds his own way home.

All that being said, after researching the breed, I've learned that he SHOULD mellow out by the time he's 2. And, while it looks like I'll have to get rid of him before then, due to his just becoming a father this week, I believe he'll be a pretty good rooster for a larger, established flock soon.

Also, I saw somewhere that they aren't nearly as aggressive towards humans if they're in charge of a flock of their own kind, as opposed to a mixed flock where he's the different-looking one.

What she said ☝🏻

My Mr. Peabody, a White-Crested Black, was anti-human from the day we got him a year ago, but didn't start "getting his Rooster" on until the late end of winter this year. We now have a come-to-Jesus meeting every few days ... basically, when he comes at me I pin him to the ground at his head and body, forcing him into a submission squat, for about 1 minute ... and he rememberes his manners (for a while). I find when I do it when his girls can see, his memory works better, but he's also gone off in a pout a few times, off property, and had to spend the night "out in the wild". If I have to go rescue him, he's much more submissive for a longer period of time than if I just call him and he finds his own way home.

All that being said, after researching the breed, I've learned that he SHOULD mellow out by the time he's 2. And, while it looks like I'll have to get rid of him before then, due to his just becoming a father this week, I believe he'll be a pretty good rooster for a larger, established flock soon.

Also, I saw somewhere that they aren't nearly as aggressive towards humans if they're in charge of a flock of their own kind, as opposed to a mixed flock where he's the different-looking one.
That is very interesting!
Yeah. I tried retraining my rooster 1) using the pick up and pet method 2) the quick flog with a stick method every time I see him. 2) worked for a little while, but then he started sneaking up on me from behind as I was collecting the eggs after being flogged 3 or 4 times in a row. He's too thick-headed to get it. Or just a very dedicated watch bird.
To be fair, he is an excellent flock leader to the hens. He does not bully or abuse them. He herds them around and searches food for them and brings them treasures. He leads them out and brings them back. And if there is a shadow from a vulture or a whistle from a hawk, he scoots everybody under the pickup truck. He is also very fertile. We got a lot of chicks out of him this year. But that's another reason to replace him. I'd rather replace the roo then replace my hennies. Good luck!

That is very interesting!
Yeah. I tried retraining my rooster 1) using the pick up and pet method 2) the quick flog with a stick method every time I see him. 2) worked for a little while, but then he started sneaking up on me from behind as I was collecting the eggs after being flogged 3 or 4 times in a row. He's too thick-headed to get it. Or just a very dedicated watch bird.
To be fair, he is an excellent flock leader to the hens. He does not bully or abuse them. He herds them around and searches food for them and brings them treasures. He leads them out and brings them back. And if there is a shadow from a vulture or a whistle from a hawk, he scoots everybody under the pickup truck. He is also very fertile. We got a lot of chicks out of him this year. But that's another reason to replace him. I'd rather replace the roo then replace my hennies. Good luck!
Chicken Math can quickly get out of hand with a good rooster, right? 🤣 Good luck to you as well 😊

Back
Top Bottom