Polish sex

ChickenNoodle

Chirping
10 Years
Feb 5, 2009
That just sounds so wrong!
tongue.png
Anyhoo. I got this little straight run Polish chick. I am praying it's a girl because I can't have a boy, but the more I watch, the more I'm thinking it's a boy. It's very independent, rambunctious, doesn't hang with the girls so much, and is very adventurous & bold. My gut is saying boy. I know it's way early, but can you tell by their hats or something when their this young?? (about 2 wks now, I think) I saw someone elses little girl polish on here and mines hat looks different than her hat. Should I try and return it now or wait & pray?? It's just so darned cute!

Here's a somewhat blurry pic. Won't sit still for ANYTHING!!

DSCN0427_edited-1-1.jpg
[/img]

Unfortunately, that bird is way too young to tell. In a couple months, you should be able to distinguish the gender.

Polish fowl generally go on their own and do their own thing from the beginning. Don't use that as an example for your doubts. My girl will stay back at the coop with me and forage for food nearby. The others will typically go off into the woods. I'd have to carry her to the others and even then, she'd stay behind to dig, not follow the very nomadic flock.

Also, I'm seeing some spur budds on the chick's legs. DO NOT use this as a sign for totally being a male. My Polish hen has huge spurs on her.

Polish crest sexing is very misleading. Don't use it unless you know what to look for. Otherwise, you will hve to wait quite a few months to make any valid decisions. Just wait.

I have 9 baby polish in the brooder now and I can guess who the roos are by their heads. Some of them already have the tight little top knot and some already have that wild put your finger in the electric socket look. My daughter and I have bets on who is right.I think it could be a girl but like they all say its too soon to be exact.

I am sooooo not good at this whole patience thing! Why do they not sex them like the other breeds? I mean, don't they look at their vents for bumps or something. I KNOW I have a magnifying glass around here someplace!
big_smile.png

Lordy...the suspense is KILLING me. I'm nearly ready to take the darned thing back, just so I don't have all this suspense. I don't want to get attached & then have to get rid of it if it's a boy and who would take it when it gets that old? I didn't think it would drive me this nuts!

Back
Top Bottom