polish/silkie cross

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sutillman, May 19, 2009.

1. sutillman

sutillman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    south georgia
    Does anyone have a pic of a polish silkie cross. Curious to see what one would look like.

1 person likes this.
  2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Wow, me too. i bet it would be pretty.

[​IMG]

3. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Here's a silkie polish cross I hatched out from a friend's eggs. She was about 14 weeks here

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. sutillman

Feb 27, 2009
    south georgia
    That's interesting. Somehow I thought they might have more of the silkie traits.

5. Peaguy

Peaguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    May,Texas
    More of an afro than a mohawk or spiked/gelled . Looks pretty silkie-ish to me. [​IMG]

6. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    She had the traits expected in a silkie cross - 5 toes, dark skin, partially feathered feet, walnut comb, blue earlobes, smooth feathering. Her type more resembled that of a polish.

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Looks similar to the polishXsilkies I have had, too, although mine have had larger crests. Whites look a great deal like a sultan [​IMG]

8. sutillman

Feb 27, 2009
    south georgia
    Guess that's what I meant. Thought they would have a larger crest or more silkie type feathers. Now I know.

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The h gene, which causes silkie feathering, is recessive, so the chances of getting silkie feathers on an F1 cross is pretty miniscule.

Black skin, feathered feed, 5 toes and crest are all dominant or incompletely dominant, and should be apparent to some degree on F1s.

10. Crazy Chicken Fever

Crazy Chicken Fever Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Capac
    I am just wondering how many gens will it take before the silkie feathers appear in a cross like this? I have an F1 showgirl polish cross that I am working on and wondering how i obtain the silkie feathers?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by