Polish Thread!

I love mine. When I was a kid I was in the 4H horse club but I wanted chickens. At the fair in August I spent all my time in the poultry tent and was obsessed with the Polish chickens. But my mom said absolutely not - too noisy and too messy. Now she's the one who takes care of all of her neighbors' chickens when they go on vacation. My Polish are probably my favorites, especially Mushroom Cloud. She'll follow me around. It's most definitely food-motivated so I really can't be too flattered.
When I bought my third polish she had mites... That I would say is the only really hard problem I have to deal with because once you think there all gone two survived and two days later you have millions... That and how the moisture can give them crusty eyes if they don’t get enough air to there eyes.

Hello! I've currently got 7 old birds of various non-crested types, and want to buy 25 chicks. The two breeds I'm interested in buying are leghorn and polish. Now, I had two polish before, in my mixed flock a few years back, and things didn't go too smoothly. But I wonder, here is my question:

If I order a LOT of polish, would having a crest become so normal that they wouldn't get picked on? How much would be "a LOT".

Hello! I've currently got 7 old birds of various non-crested types, and want to buy 25 chicks. The two breeds I'm interested in buying are leghorn and polish. Now, I had two polish before, in my mixed flock a few years back, and things didn't go too smoothly. But I wonder, here is my question:

If I order a LOT of polish, would having a crest become so normal that they wouldn't get picked on? How much would be "a LOT".
I don't think so..Polish tend to be docile and might get picked on by more aggressive chickens

I have tried with no sucess but I have seen it work with docile breeds. You can always try but you need a backup area so that you will still have a place to put them if it doesn’t work out...

I have no roo. Does the roo of the roost have any better chance of not getting an unwanted haircut? Is Houdan just as apt to get scalped as Polish?
I have a Polish too and my other polish hens even had pecked the middle of his head feathers out... I don’t really know about the Houdan very much but I think I’d goes with most crested birds.

image.jpeg
Bug the polish chick.
image.png
Spike the polish rooster
I love polish chickens!

Back
Top Bottom