Polish Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At a young stage mine were a little skittish, but once i got them outside, they tended to stick by me! :) now they are as friendly as can be! :D I always feed them treats and stuff.
thanks...I am feeling undecided if they are for me... love love love their look!!! I have a chick that is still just all white!!! I have 2 6wk olds that are just out of control :( I'm afraid they will have a heart attack if I try to take them out of the kennel they are in. Im afraid to bring them outside. The 3week old chicks are much better and will jump on their feeders and look up at me in their brooder... DH convinced me Sat to part ways...but still have 5 out of 10 lol...

thanks...I am feeling undecided if they are for me... love love love their look!!! I have a chick that is still just all white!!! I have 2 6wk olds that are just out of control :( I'm afraid they will have a heart attack if I try to take them out of the kennel they are in. Im afraid to bring them outside. The 3week old chicks are much better and will jump on their feeders and look up at me in their brooder... DH
convinced me Sat to part ways...but still have 5 out of 10 lol...

If I remember right mine were skittish and flighty at a young age, but ig they grew a liking to me lol maybe if you feed them treats or just be around them and not touch them just have then get used of your voice? I'm no chicken expert lol. I've had chickens only ... Maybe ... 4-5 years. :D

Last edited:
If I remember right mine were skittish and flighty at a young age, but ig they grew a liking to me lol maybe if you feed them treats or just be around them and not touch them just have then get used of your voice? I'm no chicken expert lol. I've had chickens only ... Maybe ... 4-5 years. :D
I've tried treats they run and hide in the corner. ..maybe because I got them over a week old and my young ones I hatched.??

I've tamed a few by sitting and looking intently at something in my hand. Ooohh, aahhh... They eventually had to come look at what I had that was so wonderful. Mealworms. (blech) But I slowly won them over with time. It was worth it, they became my constant outdoor buddies.

This Is one I CANNOT part with...
Sweet Bertha Mae

These were hatched from eggs that I purchased. I sold 5 others Saturday. These 3 were my favorite ones...pics didnt come out all that great

It is fascinating to me the personalities! I only have one bird that I would consider aggressive, and it's one of my RIRs. She doesn't bother anyone in her flock, but she has taken on the role of protector in the absence of a roo. It has made for some challenges introducing new birds.

Not all but most people on these BYC threads have bigger flocks than my 4 hens (now down to 3). Bigger flocks seem to have the luxury of breaking off into little sub-groups by breed to form their own little cliques away from the bullying breeds. At midday snooze time it can be more evident to see the same breeds gravitate toward one another in little groups. Our two Silkies are not necessarily bosom buddies but they hang out at snooze time. There has to be a matriarch in a no-roo flock and most of the other hens respect that. Sometimes a newly matured hen will foolishly challenge for position but usually put in her place by the ruling matriarch - who in a LF mixed flock will usually be the assertive heavier dual-purpose breed. However in my flock the ruling matriarch is our oldest Silkie and when the Buff Leg started to bully for position there was no equal rival to put her uppity behavior in check and she went beserk with power since Mediterranean breeds are not shy. We purchased her hoping her calmer Buff nature would be better than the White Leg we used to have but she proved to be just as aggressive. She is so gorgeous and I LOVE Leghorns for their active foraging, independence, easy on the feed bill, and numerous eggs but unfortunately the Buff proved no gentler than the White around our Silkies and Ameraucana. Hey, on the positive note, I keep breeders in business buying their birds to form the right combination of breeds for my backyard - LOL.

Back
Top Bottom