Polish Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Toffee has a daughter!
woot.gif

she is SO pretty!

I had 2 Polish pullets (Elvis and Nancy Reagan)- I sold Elvis- and Nancy Reagan sadly met her end under a low plastic dog water dish. We searched the farm- called neighbors- but didn't find her until the morning when we were filling water dishes :( They were both very skittish- elvis would peck your feet and always sounded agitated. They were the lowest on the pecking order- and didn't seem very bright- although I think it was mostly because they couldn't see very well. They were really fun to watch- total comic relief :)

I had 2 Polish pullets (Elvis and Nancy Reagan)- I sold Elvis- and Nancy Reagan sadly met her end under a low plastic dog water dish. We searched the farm- called neighbors- but didn't find her until the morning when we were filling water dishes :( They were both very skittish- elvis would peck your feet and always sounded agitated. They were the lowest on the pecking order- and didn't seem very bright- although I think it was mostly because they couldn't see very well. They were really fun to watch- total comic relief :)

I saw a video of a lady in the U.K. that has an all-Polish flock because she loves Polish so much. Her birds look very relaxed and intelligent probably because they are all Polish and she dotes over them and doesn't trim their crests. They really did look quite remarkably alert and smart. Away from bossy bigger chicken breeds the Polish do very well w/ each other and develop confidence w/ each other, away from other breeds.

Oh no, sorry to hear you lost Nancy Reagan :(

I saw a video of a lady in the U.K. that has an all-Polish flock because she loves Polish so much.  Her birds look very relaxed and intelligent probably because they are all Polish and she dotes over them and doesn't trim their crests.  They really did look quite remarkably alert and smart.  Away from bossy bigger chicken breeds the Polish do very well w/ each other and develop confidence w/ each other, away from other breeds.

I keep mainly all polish and they do great. All for the exception of my frizzle mother hen, she has to live on her own as even though she lived with all other polish they were pretty horrible to her. Polish politics within the flock is great to watch!

I had bought two white crusted black polish chicks but unfortunately the one past away on day four but the one that survived is now
fully grown, laying, and is gorgeous~!

Last edited:
Oh no, sorry to hear you lost Nancy Reagan
sad.png

I keep mainly all polish and they do great. All for the exception of my frizzle mother hen, she has to live on her own as even though she lived with all other polish they were pretty horrible to her. Polish politics within the flock is great to watch!

Frizzle mother hen is on her own? with chicks? or just isolated from other hens? Sounds lonely, maybe if she had another frizzle in the flock w/ her to hang with? I had a Silkie that was by herself in a mixed flock so I added a 2nd Silkie pullet. They are not the best buddies but they do seem to toodle around together:

Yes she has coop/run combo that she lives in but can see the others. She is very unsociable and always has been. I have tried several other polish in with her and they all attack her. Even young (6-8 weeks) just fully feathered chicks bully her. She doesn't stand up for herself and is quite meek. Tried quite a few times to get her back in the pen with the others and the last time almost resulted in her death. They had a couple of days being ok with just the odd scuffle untill I found her the third morning on the coop floor having been attacked. Took a couple of weeks in the house to get her something like again before she went out to her own coop.

Yes she has coop/run combo that she lives in but can see the others. She is very unsociable and always has been. I have tried several other polish in with her and they all attack her. Even young (6-8 weeks) just fully feathered chicks bully her. She doesn't stand up for herself and is quite meek. Tried quite a few times to get her back in the pen with the others and the last time almost resulted in her death. They had a couple of days being ok with just the odd scuffle untill I found her the third morning on the coop floor having been attacked. Took a couple of weeks in the house to get her something like again before she went out to her own coop.

Oh, I want to cry - poor baby! Would trying a younger (another frizzle) chick like 4 weeks old (and no older) w/ her to grow up together? It is just so sad to be alone. A new younger frizzle might have the same meek personality rather than a regular feathered Polish juvenile? I know you are doing your best for her.

I had a male silkie like that. We thought he was killed once cause he just disappeared and then three days later we found him hiding under the lawnmower. He was hungry and thirsty but other than that he was fine. I ended up making a pen for him in my garage and put a female with him and they eventually had three little ones that he watched over and was the best daddy. I put them out in their own coop and they started their own flock. He never could go with the others though whenever I let them out with the others he would get beat up trying to protect his flock. He was killed this past fall by a possum he was three years old.

Back
Top Bottom