Polish Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@polishmom1744 Wow! You've got great looking birds! Do you have any tips/suggestions for caring of the crests on the Polish? I'm just wondering if there's something I can do for my other 3 hens' crests to get them nice and big like the top hen in the pecking order has or if it's out of my control/help with how those feathers grow out.

My dad was trying to get me to trim them all back so the hens could see better, but I like how they look better with the crests all full and puffy. I'm not sure if this is good or bad for them? They don't have to worry about predators since their enclosure is made with ground and air predators in mind and I use verbal cues with them when I'm in there with them that seem to work really well so far. But I could understand how that might be limiting to them to have their crests in the way of seeing better. I guess maybe I'm still torn between trimming them all and letting them all grow out.
hmm.png
This was a bit rambly - sorry about that!
LOL...I'm a rambler too!!
duc.gif
Thanks for the compliment..I will be selling eggs this year as soon as my NPIP comes in, so if you need any let me know. Ok...as for cutting crests..you can trim the ones just around the eyes so they can see without cutting into the top knot of feathers and messing up their looks.
Be Careful! I only trim those birds who cannot see otherwise and only enough to clear their line of vision. I like em poofy!!!

As for crest maintenance:
1) Don't keep them with other chickens unless they are docile breeds, picking out crest feathers repeatedly will cause scarring and lessen crest size over time.I have preached this sermon before on this thread
old.gif
Although most Polish are docile there are exceptions, My BCW Cap'n Jack is the devil!
This may be the issue with your birds crests & that dominant hen? Does she peck and pick at the others?

2) Make sure the crest stays clean, good dust baths and the occasional rain bath is what mine get (unless we're going to show then use bird shampoo), and keep a close watch for mites that LOVE crested breeds!!!
love.gif
rant.gif
somad.gif
if you see them ...Kill them quick with Frontline spray...
smack.gif

3) I have found that genetics plays a huge role in crest size. My Roos from last season have huge crests now their offspring have much larger crests than some of their mothers. So get a Roo with a large crest and breed him to your girls for babies that have a bigger POOF
yesss.gif

4)My birds get a good deal of ranging time and I think the natural food makes their feathers look much better...I also feed them a heavy seed mix in winter instead of all that GMO corn...it's a pigeon mix. I think it has made a difference in size and feathers of last years hatchlings.
jumpy.gif

Hope this has helped some... and I didn't ramble too much, good luck and happy henning
D.gif

Last edited:
LOL...I'm a rambler too!!
duc.gif
Thanks for the compliment..I will be selling eggs this year as soon as my NPIP comes in, so if you need any let me know. Ok...as for cutting crests..you can trim the ones just around the eyes so they can see without cutting into the top knot of feathers and messing up their looks.
Be Careful! I only trim those birds who cannot see otherwise and only enough to clear their line of vision. I like em poofy!!!

As for crest maintenance:
1) Don't keep them with other chickens unless they are docile breeds, picking out crest feathers repeatedly will cause scarring and lessen crest size over time.I have preached this sermon before on this thread
old.gif
Although most Polish are docile there are exceptions, My BCW Cap'n Jack is the devil!
This may be the issue with your birds crests & that dominant hen? Does she peck and pick at the others?

2) Make sure the crest stays clean, good dust baths and the occasional rain bath is what mine get (unless we're going to show then use bird shampoo), and keep a close watch for mites that LOVE crested breeds!!!
love.gif
rant.gif
somad.gif
if you see them ...Kill them quick with Frontline spray...
smack.gif

3) I have found that genetics plays a huge role in crest size. My Roos from last season have huge crests now their offspring have much larger crests than some of their mothers. So get a Roo with a large crest and breed him to your girls for babies that have a bigger POOF
yesss.gif

4)My birds get a good deal of ranging time and I think the natural food makes their feathers look much better...I also feed them a heavy seed mix in winter instead of all that GMO corn...it's a pigeon mix. I think it has made a difference in size and feathers of last years hatchlings.
jumpy.gif

Hope this has helped some... and I didn't ramble too much, good luck and happy henning
D.gif
Thank you very much! I haven't noticed the big hen being overly aggressive with the others or an unusual amount of feathers around their run, but I'm also at work from 7-6. Who knows what goes on while I'm away! I'll keep an eye on them to see if that might be the cause - I was probably paying too much attention to whether or not their current rooster was being too rough with them.

Athena photo bombed the picture I was trying to take of Nausicaä (1 of the other hens) & Odysseus (the rooster). We were all waiting for another hen, Calypso, to lay her egg before moving inside the barn for the night. I don't have much experience with chickens, but I'm pretty sure Polish are my favourite kind. And if I have any success hatching eggs this month, I might have to take you up on your offer to buy some hatching eggs from you, @polishmom1744! :)

[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]lol had to show of a couple of my peeps that hatched on Monday! Had to get in on the poof action too I leave my girls poof s long too

Back
Top Bottom