Polish Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I have a SLP hen throwing me a GLP. I just hatched another one!!! Could it just be a weird gentic issue or is one of my girls not pure just has the look to be pure.

This was one of my roo's when he was still little, he got eaten by an owl because he couldn't see. This is his brother, whom is still with us. He had to come in and get his spurs trimmed and get his mullet haircut so he can see to get away from things if need be. I actually like the way he looks with his haircut better lol. We call him crazyhead
Hi welcome to the thread, lovely birds :D Looks like your hairdressing skills are better than mine!! Sorry to hear you lost his brother.
So I have a SLP hen throwing me a GLP. I just hatched another one!!! Could it just be a weird gentic issue or is one of my girls not pure just has the look to be pure.
:/ Will have to look this up. Not all are hatching GL are they? Just the odd one?

Hi welcome to the thread, lovely birds :D Looks like your hairdressing skills are better than mine!! Sorry to hear you lost his brother.
:/

Will have to look this up. Not all are hatching GL are they? Just the odd one?

Only one per hatch in my last 2 hatches. I am about to put another 18 in here I the next couple of days. We shall see if I get another golden. I think it's somewhere down the gentic pool.

No you can't see waffles yet. But blacky is a male and doesn't have his yet just the super stringy crazy crest. And blues crest doesn't come down in the back and is stringy at the bottom and acts like blacky. Has rooster behaviors...But since I let blue and blacky listen to another polish roo crow they gathered all their hens and they came over and were investigating it.

Last edited:
Hey all. I'm pretty sure I heard my polish rooster crow for the first time this morning. He is only 6 weeks. Is this normal? Could he be older then I thought maybe? I got him at tractor supply out of the bantam bin. I thought roosters didn't crow till much older... thanks. First time chicken mommy.. :)

My 10.5 week old EE tried out his voice for the first time at about seven weeks. The poor baby sounded so pitiful at first LOL He would go quiet for a few days then try again. By the time he was nine weeks old he was crowing every day. His half brother has joined him and they crow back and forth now.

Hey all. I'm pretty sure I heard my polish rooster crow for the first time this morning. He is only 6 weeks. Is this normal? Could he be older then I thought maybe? I got him at tractor supply out of the bantam bin. I thought roosters didn't crow till much older... thanks. First time chicken mommy..
smile.png

Last edited:
My 10.5 week old EE tried out his voice for the first time at about seven weeks. The poor baby sounded so pitiful at first LOL He would go quiet for a few days then try again. By the time he was nine weeks old he was crowing every day. His half brother has joined him and they crow back and forth now.
lol aww how sweet.. I'm looking forward to it.. :)

Only one per hatch in my last 2 hatches. I am about to put another 18 in here I the next couple of days. We shall see if I get another golden. I think it's somewhere down the gentic pool.

I'm thinking the same after a little reading and just thinking back in a hatch I did previous. I got 6 WCB and 6 buff eggs posted to me and 1 of each hatched GL. Need to do a little more research but I'm thinking maybe everything originated from GL at some point many many many moons back. Other breeds crossed with the polish then repeatedly crossed back to polish to keep the new colours. I know creating new colours can taken many generations. Will be interested to see what happens with your next hatch :pop

No you can't see waffles yet. But blacky is a male and doesn't have his yet just the super stringy crazy crest. And blues crest doesn't come down in the back and is stringy at the bottom and acts like blacky. Has rooster behaviors...But since I let blue and blacky listen to another polish roo crow they gathered all their hens and they came over and were investigating it.

Maybe a roo then, sounds like Blue could be Blackies deputy. This can and does happen when you have multiple boys in a flock.

Hey all. I'm pretty sure I heard my polish rooster crow for the first time this morning. He is only 6 weeks. Is this normal? Could he be older then I thought maybe? I got him at tractor supply out of the bantam bin. I thought roosters didn't crow till much older... thanks. First time chicken mommy.. :)

Yes can be quite normal. I've had them crow at 2 weeks. Never been exactly sure which ones as they have been in the brooding shed when it's happened at that age. I've had confirmed crowers that I've seen at 3 weeks. Others have not crowed until 6 months, it really does depend on the individual bird.

I'm thinking the same after a little reading and just thinking back in a hatch I did previous. I got 6 WCB and 6 buff eggs posted to me and 1 of each hatched GL. Need to do a little more research but I'm thinking maybe everything originated from GL at some point many many many moons back. Other breeds crossed with the polish then repeatedly crossed back to polish to keep the new colours. I know creating new colours can taken many generations. Will be interested to see what happens with your next hatch :pop
Maybe a roo then, sounds like Blue could be Blackies deputy. This can and does happen when you have multiple boys in a flock.
Yes can be quite normal. I've had them crow at 2 weeks. Never been exactly sure which ones as they have been in the brooding shed when it's happened at that age. I've had confirmed crowers that I've seen at 3 weeks. Others have not crowed until 6 months, it really does depend on the individual bird.

Thanks I'm going to need to get him some more ladies. It's him his brother and 1 hen. Right now they all het along but I know we need more hens. It's hard finding bamtams in our area.. :(

Back
Top Bottom