Polish X Chicks

Black chick Wellsummer
Blue chick Suspected OE Darkness
Splash chick EE Frankie or Fa

You say "Splash chick EE Frankie or Fa"
I'm puzzled what "Fa" means.
Oh, I see, I missed that post: Fae is another possible mother.

And if the rooster is a White Crested BLACK Polish, then no chick can be splash (genetic impossibility.)

I’m not sure she’s from MT healthy.

I think Ameracana mixed with something.

I’m pretty sure my OE from the same hatchery is Ameracana X BCMView attachment 3840828
This is Fae she could also be the blue egg mom but I feel like based on personality it’s Frankies
I just noticed Fae (not sure how I missed seeing that post the first time I read the thread.)

Does the rooster have a beard/muff? If not, then any chick with a beard would have to come from Fae, because none of the other hens have one. Fae can probably produce non-bearded chicks as well, so a beardless chick doesn't tell us much about which mother it must have.

I just noticed Fae (not sure how I missed seeing that post the first time I read the thread.)

Does the rooster have a beard/muff? If not, then any chick with a beard would have to come from Fae, because none of the other hens have one. Fae can probably produce non-bearded chicks as well, so a beardless chick doesn't tell us much about which mother it must have.
I didn’t really see what looked like a muff or even a polish bump on any of the chicks. But when I got the parents they were likely a littttle older than my chicks now so I’m not sure if that develops later or since they’re mixes they don’t have any of these traits pronounced.

Also I’m sure you’re right that the black and white chick may not technically be splash, but her wing feathers are coming in both black and white…. Wouldn’t that be splash or is there another term?

I didn’t really see what looked like a muff or even a polish bump on any of the chicks. But when I got the parents they were likely a littttle older than my chicks now so I’m not sure if that develops later or since they’re mixes they don’t have any of these traits pronounced.
Chicks with a muff/beard will usually have extra-puffy cheeks from the time they hatch, although it can be easier to see from some angles than others. I didn't notice that on yours, but it is good to double-check after they are fully feathered.

Polish-mix chicks can grow a crest without having the bump on their skull. ("Vaulted skull" appears to be the usual term for that, and it is present when they hatch.)

Also I’m sure you’re right that the black and white chick may not technically be splash, but her wing feathers are coming in both black and white…. Wouldn’t that be splash or is there another term?
It is common for black chicks to grow a few white feathers when they are young, especially in the wings, but later replace them with completely black feathers. They are still black, not splash.

"Splash" is a chicken with two copies of the blue gene. When there are blue chickens in the discussion, it would be very confusing to use "splash" in any other way.

Chicks with a muff/beard will usually have extra-puffy cheeks from the time they hatch, although it can be easier to see from some angles than others. I didn't notice that on yours, but it is good to double-check after they are fully feathered.

Polish-mix chicks can grow a crest without having the bump on their skull. ("Vaulted skull" appears to be the usual term for that, and it is present when they hatch.)

It is common for black chicks to grow a few white feathers when they are young, especially in the wings, but later replace them with completely black feathers. They are still black, not splash.

"Splash" is a chicken with two copies of the blue gene. When there are blue chickens in the discussion, it would be very confusing to use "splash" in any other way.
I see I will edit my previous post.

Back
Top Bottom