Political Ramblings

Status
Not open for further replies.
The husband of one of my wife's friends just went on disability. He's in his mid 30's, weighs in excess of 300 lbs, has already had a heart attack, and can't stand for more than 15 minutes at a time... TaDa! Another disabled person. Who is also going to get back pay for the years that he's been trying to get on disability.
Somehow I just can not bring myself to be jealous or upset at the few hundred dollars per month this person (nor the person Kunrtygirl describes) will receive for the few short years left in their miserable lives. I just dont get it, is this what is really upseting to some people these days?

Somehow I just can not bring myself to be jealous or upset at the few hundred dollars per month this person (nor the person Kunrtygirl describes) will receive for the few short years left in their miserable lives. I just dont get it, is this what is really upseting to some people these days?

I agree. I don't know about where you live, but where I am $600 bucks is barely enough and maybe even not enough rent for a studio apartment in a slum. If that is a persons whole living at the moment it is pretty extreme poverty. I wouldn't consider it a reward.

The husband of one of my wife's friends just went on disability. He's in his mid 30's, weighs in excess of 300 lbs, has already had a heart attack, and can't stand for more than 15 minutes at a time... TaDa! Another disabled person. Who is also going to get back pay for the years that he's been trying to get on disability.

Somehow I just can not bring myself to be jealous or upset at the few hundred dollars per month  this person (nor the person Kunrtygirl describes) will receive for the few short years left in their miserable lives.   I just dont get it, is this what is really upseting to some people these days?

No, it's not enough money for 1 person but I would love to know how many people in the US fall into this category that get these benefits due to their own neglect of not taking care of themselves (things they have control over) and what is the annual bill. :/

Somehow I just can not bring myself to be jealous or upset at the few hundred dollars per month  this person (nor the person Kunrtygirl describes) will receive for the few short years left in their miserable lives.   I just dont get it, is this what is really upseting to some people these days?

I agree. I don't know about where you live, but where I am $600 bucks is barely enough and maybe even not enough rent for a studio apartment in a slum. If that is a persons whole living at the moment it is pretty extreme poverty. I wouldn't consider it a reward. 

In my neck of the woods (Louisiana) things don't cost that much compared to other states. The older man that gets these benefits always tells me that the money that he gets on a monthly basis is way more than enough for him. :/

More then just the relatively small money factor. I can just see inside the head of these two people who have gone on disability. If we could see inside their heads on the one hand you have a 30 year old who says, let me become a fat pig, have a heart attack and not be able to stand or walk. Then I can get disability and I will be a happy person. I don't get what the point of the issue is. Maybe as part of compasionate conservatism (or whatever) we just shoot them.

More then just the relatively small money factor.  I can just see inside the head of these two people who have gone on disability.  If we could see inside their heads on the one hand you have a 30 year old who says, let me become a fat pig, have a heart attack and not be able to stand or walk.  Then I can get disability and I will be a happy person. I don't get what the point of the issue is.  Maybe as part of compasionate conservatism (or whatever) we just shoot them.

Capvin, you would be surprised at some people that I have talked to who will try anything (to include the fakes) to get on disability so that they don't have to work. It boils down to them being lazy and not wanting to go to work and wanting the government to take care of them.

Sure, there are people that cannot provide for themselves. But I see advertisements by lawyers on television saying "it is your right to go on disability." My gut feeling is that this may be another racket. We have to draw a line somewhere. We need to take care of the truly needy, but we can no longer afford to support pot heads, tweakers and crack addicts. Our resources are very limited; we have to make hard decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom