Michigan Backyard Chickens

Brandon98

Hatching
Dec 3, 2017
So our family has had chickens for a number of years now, but recently a neighbor was angered by the light of fireworks on the 4th of the year and filed a complaint with the township about our girls. My father had always wanted chickens and after moving to our new house and noticing several neighbors raising chickens he decided to get his own and provide our family with fresh eggs. Come to receive a letter from Tyrone Township, Michigan stating we are violating ordinance 21.28 which is as follows: http://www.tyronetownship.us/portals/149/ORDINANCE/21- Supplemental Regulations 101816.pdf
E. Animal Units. For private use by the owner or lessee of the land and dwelling, the following number of animal units is allowed on the designated usable land as provided in the following table: Site Acreage Number of Animal Units Permitted
less than 3 (0)
3 to less than 5 (1)
5 to less than 7 (2)
7 to less than 9 (3)
9 to 10 (4)
One (1) animal unit is equivalent to:  1 horse or donkey or mule or cow, or  3 pigs, or  15 sheep or goats, or  30 fowl, or  4 miniature equine

We are zoned as RE, rural estate.

We live on a half acre with a few homes nearby, but many people have and still do raise chickens on our street, for eggs and meat. We currently have 11 girls laying and have been so happy to be able to access fresh eggs, I even enjoy hold and feeding them by hand and have come to think of them as part of the family, possibly pets. We have been able to sell a few eggs before and my dad's friend constantly asks for fresh eggs.

I do not want to see my girls go and I would love to continue to have access to fresh clean food. Currently the girls are not even on our land, but the township has once again mailed us giving us our last warning and 7 days notice to remove the chickens. Please someone help me, I have read up on some info related to the Michigan Right to Farm act, but it so complicated. Hopefully there is something we can do, anything to keep them would mean the world.

Im not sure about any of this so I will let the experts help.
I hope you find a salution.:fl
I will say:
Hello:frow
Welcome to BYC!!
So glad to have you her.

"E. Animal Units. For private use by the owner or lessee of the land and dwelling, the following number of animal units is allowed on the designated usable land as provided in the following table: Site Acreage Number of Animal Units Permitted
less than 3 (0)
3 to less than 5 (1)
5 to less than 7 (2)
7 to less than 9 (3)
9 to 10 (4)
One (1) animal unit is equivalent to:  1 horse or donkey or mule or cow, or  3 pigs, or  15 sheep or goats, or  30 fowl, or  4 miniature equine"

I would ask just who determined an 'animal unit' (USDA defined as 1000# of animal).
The rest should fall into place, as (3) 220# pigs are not the same as (15) 150# sheep or (15) 100# goats or (30)8# chickens. According to this, I could have (1) 2200# bull

Back
Top Bottom