Poll: How did your partner react to you keeping chickens?

What was your partners reaction to your first chickens

• They wanted them more than me!

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • They were excited but it was my idea.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • The didn’t care either way.

Votes: 22 30.1%
  • They were against it.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • They said “NO WAY” but I got chickens anyway!

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 14 19.2%

• Total voters
Pics
Like so many people, I got "pandemic chickens."

The day after my work shut down "for 3 weeks," DH said he thought I should get chickens now, instead of waiting until I retire. As a hedge against food insecurity, sort of...? It turned out I never went back to work.

He likes to build things, and the coop he built was a flat out home run hit. So this was sort of his idea, but we had planned to get chickens when I or we retired anyway. The timeline just moved up.

They are my responsibility, but he enjoys them too.
Our newly hatched batch are from pandemic chickens. They're about 8 weeks old and parents about a year. We passed by a brooder and my mom said no more chickens and then ended up buying 10 chicks. 5 had to be rehomed because they were roosters and the rest became the newest flock. We just hatched 8 weeks ago and since none of our hens ever hatched anything we assumed the old rooster of my mother's that is about five was sterile. He's not. I have 2 of his babies in the incubator waiting to hatch. I became more interested in the past year or so in raising but never got my hopes up and boom. Unexpected brood. I'm hooked. 💜😍

Back
Top Bottom