Poll: How long did it take your moved hen to resume laying?

poseygrace

Songster
8 Years
Apr 29, 2011
Georgia
Going on 4 weeks with no eggs from two Wyandotte hens... very frustrated. Is this unusual?

Details: 4 weeks ago I added one Buckeye and two Wyandotte hens to my existing flock of 6 pullets. The person I bought the hens from assured me they are all about 18 months old, and were all laying very well. The Buckeye took a couple of days to adjust, then began laying an egg a day. The Wyandottes both laid eggs the first couple of days (they were "in the pipes" I assume) then abruptly stopped. Not an egg from either since.

Is this abnormally long to stop laying after being moved? They seem healthy, eat well (layer mash plus snacks of BOSS, Oatmeal, and mealworms). They have a great little life in a safe coop with a nice run, and free range several hours a day. I know nothing is getting the eggs because I am out there all the time checking on them, and I always see the Buckeye laying her egg. Also, no chance they are laying while free ranging, I am out there with them the whole time.

I'm just looking for other's experience about how long it takes to resume egg-laying duties!

My 2 took not quite 2 weeks to start laying again. But if they were laying and then stopped, I'd make sure they weren't broody or hiding eggs somewhere else. They can be sneaky. Or see if someone is stealing or eating eggs.

I've had a wide range of experiences. I moved 3 Golden Comets and 1 EE. 1 GC took 2 months to start up again. The other 2 GCs only took a few days. The EE didn't skip a day at all. To each her own I guess.

I moved some ex-battery hens from the rescue centre to my house and one of them laid the next day.
One of them waited 6 weeks though.... I guess you can't tell until they decide.

Last summer after I finished my coop, I couldn't wait to raise chicks, I wanted eggs NOW! So I bought 2 SLW hens. Put them in a small wire cage in the back seat and drove 1 1/2 hours home. They both laid the next day and never missed a beat.

Thanks for all of the great replies. Looks like the answer is just what I thought: they'll lay when they feel like it, and not one moment sooner!
idunno.gif

We bought a barred rock and 3 brown leghorns recently. The barred rock never took a break and was laying immediately. The leghorns laid the first 2 days, and then went two weeks without laying. 2 of them are back laying. Still have one who isn't. at about 18 days since the move.

Just thought I'd post an update... my two BLRW hens that I moved THREE AND A HALF MONTHS AGO still haven't laid, except for the first two days they were with me. I know they aren't laying, because I checked their vent and it's dry and "closed for business." They have 5 "sisters" they were raised with that are at another farm with their roo, and they are all laying just fine. Maybe they miss their sisters and their roo? It's just the wierdest thing. I am giving them until Sept. 1st, then they are going to be re-homed!

Back
Top Bottom