Votes: 6 1.9%
  • 151-200

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 201-500

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • 500+

Votes: 3 1.0%

• Total voters
I have always thought about doing meat birds, but I've never pulled the trigger :oops: because I get a few roos every summer to dress out from my broodies. It's fine, but I'd love to be more self sufficient.
We have always wanted to be more self sufficient, now we are I guess lol. We are taking our 300 lb feeder pig to the butcher next week and our garden is growing like crazy! We have 40ish tomato plants and a whole garden deticated to squash. We are going to have too many squash and pumpkins...:oops:

We have always wanted to be more self sufficient, now we are I guess lol. We are taking our 300 lb feeder pig to the butcher next week and our garden is growing like crazy! We have 40ish tomato plants and a whole garden deticated to squash. We are going to have too many squash and pumpkins...:oops:
Oh goodness, the feeder pig deal. If my family wouldn't flip the f out, I would have one. My friend and I decided a few years ago that we would buy two and each raise one - then we would take each others for the last 3 weeks and send them to the butcher :lau Then they up and moved to LA! lol. They certainly wont be doing feeder pigs in their teeny apartment...

We overgrew tomatoes and zucchini last year. The zucchini freezes beautifully in small pieces when blanched. I recommend that. Made great soup all winter. I am now using last years frozen bumper tomatoes as chicken treats in the heat.

Oh goodness, the feeder pig deal. If my family wouldn't flip the f out, I would have one. My friend and I decided a few years ago that we would buy two and each raise one - then we would take each others for the last 3 weeks and send them to the butcher :lau Then they up and moved to LA! lol. They certainly wont be doing feeder pigs in their teeny apartment...

We overgrew tomatoes and zucchini last year. The zucchini freezes beautifully in small pieces when blanched. I recommend that. Made great soup all winter. I am now using last years frozen bumper tomatoes as chicken treats in the heat.
Last year we overgrew pepper....man we had so many! My husband and I are the only ones who like them! We didn't freeze anything last year so we might this year. Thanks for the advice!

Last year we overgrew pepper....man we had so many! My husband and I are the only ones who like them! We didn't freeze anything last year so we might this year. Thanks for the advice!
I prefer freezing over canning by 100x. The only downside is that I still freeze in plastic baggies (I try to not use non recyclable plastics). If canning lids weren't MIA this year for all of the people freaking out I would can more.

We freeze everything except lettuce. Then over the winter we cook big pots of soup with the freezer veggies. If we don't have our own chicken then we buy rotisserie chickens from the store (great flavor). My big soup tip is to use soy sauce in place of salt. Better, more rich flavor.

Who's the person who voted +500 and does he/she still call them backyard chickens? 😂
I know a few people on here have that many chickens... I think maybe the_peanut_coop also voted that. (3 people also voted that)
Hehehe, sorry I "accidentally" voted 500+...... heheheh.... I have seven...

Currently, I have 26 big chickens (5 roosters, 21 hens), and 19 6-week old chicks that live in the closed - off run right now. I also have 2 ducks, they are free range, and idk how many guineas.

Back
Top Bottom