Votes: 3 1.0%

• Total voters
Pics

LizzzyJo

Show me the data 👩🏼‍🔬
5 Years
Dec 14, 2018
The Great Black Swamp, Ohio
I am always curious of people's flock sizes! On average - how many chickens do you keep?

Comment down below about your number of roosters vs hens!

Comment down below on how many meat birds you cycle through in a given year!

Are you actively seeking to increase or reduce your number?

inquiring minds want to know!

I just have a small 5 chick flock. It's nice because you can remember every name and personality but they still entertain each other. Also, you get a variety in egg colors!
IMG_5839.JPG

I just have a small 5 chick flock. It's nice because you can remember every name and personality but they still entertain each other. Also, you get a variety in egg colors! View attachment 2494320
Yes! This is me exactly! Even with 6 I still get overrun with eggs in the summer and give them to the local shelter. I love my egg variety - yours are beautiful!

Right now I have 26 chickens. Six are in a smaller coop up near my house, and the other 20 are in a pasture down by the woods. I only have one roo, with the ones in the pasture. I haven't done meat chickens this past year, but plan to eat any cockerels we get.
That is what we've done as well. Girls in the garden, boys in the belly :old

I have 7 pullets, 6 hens, and one rooster. I would like to hatch out more chicks this year, but am waiting for the local poultry swap to re-open so I can sell my extras. It was closed down due to Covid risks. It's a monthly event and a lot of fun.
I went out just now and took photos. Can't get everyone in one shot...
1-18_.jpg

10 pullets and 1 cockerel.

Last spring hubs decided to get chickens. I said 6. Went to store and they ran out of the breeds we wanted except for BO so I grabbed those and went to next store to get the other 4. Turns out that store wouldn't sell just 4 so ended up leaving with 6 which brought us to 8 total.
Not gonna lie but the whole "chicken math" thing made me laugh! Who on earth would want more? I didn't even want 8!
Well, now we have 11 and hubs is the one saying "chicken math? Seriously??" 😂😂
I absolutely love my mixed flock of girls🥰 and I'm really hoping the cockerel works out. Now I cannot let another broody hatch out because I definitely cannot get more!! Right? Well.....maybe just another 1 or 2 won't hurt I guess😁

Back
Top Bottom