Votes: 6 1.9%
  • 151-200

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 201-500

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • 500+

Votes: 3 1.0%

• Total voters
Thank you! The extra eggs idea is great! I have like 25 eggs right now!
Yes, it works out beautifully. Our shelter/soup kitchen loves to take fresh eggs and vegetables, so in the summer they get SO many eggs, kale, and tomatoes and zucchini from us their heads begin to spin.

I can't imagine how rare it must be for those suffering from homelessness to get fresh vegetables and eggs.

16 hens, 1 rooster. I’d like to get my hens up to a nice solid 20 this year. I also plan to hatch for eating and selling. I’m adding a much larger run/yard area and another coop for those that won’t be hanging around for long. This coop will have all the things I didn’t think of the first time! 😂 It will be a fully functioning coop in case it has to house extra hens that I may or may not decide to keep. Chicken math will sneak up on you very quickly.

I always think about getting a big tom turkey for entertainment, but he wouldn't fit through my coop door! lol.
It's also very likely that he would seriously injure of kill your hens trying to breed them. (This is my pencilled blue palm jake.)
IMG_5710.JPG

My roo to hen ratio needs to be worked on. I have to many cockerels. It's probably about 4 - 5 hens per roo but what I see most if the time is actually the roos grouping together to manage a flock of hens. There are two main groups but I've seen some shifting in the pecking order recently. One group is a group of the large fowl adult hens run by Dragon as the main roo and also Blacky who is my mother's old swedish black rooster. The other group has all the young ones hatched this year in it. Copper and Biscuit are the main roos but Boo Boo, Stunning, Gold Lace, Scarlett, Frito, Dorito, and and the unintelligent faverolle rooster are in that group too. Darlene, Raven, and Red are a few hens who have left the main flocks and prefer to follow the humans around like dogs!

My roo to hen ratio needs to be worked on. I have to many cockerels. It's probably about 4 - 5 hens per roo but what I see most if the time is actually the roos grouping together to manage a flock of hens. There are two main groups but I've seen some shifting in the pecking order recently. One group is a group of the large fowl adult hens run by Dragon as the main roo and also Blacky who is my mother's old swedish black rooster. The other group has all the young ones hatched this year in it. Copper and Biscuit are the main roos but Boo Boo, Stunning, Gold Lace, Scarlett, and and the unintelligent faverolle rooster are in that group too. Darlene, Raven, and Red are a few hens who have left the main flocks and prefer to follow the humans around like dogs!
I won't be keeping all those chickens but people prefer to buy them during spring (after they've made the feed bill go higher all winter!)

Back
Top Bottom