Poll: How was your coop built?

How was your coop built?

• Total voters
Pics
Oh, it's just gorgeous. Thank you for sharing! Do you use hemp bedding for deep litter? How many full grown chickens? Seems 12" roisting space per hen is about right? Or would you suggest 10"?
Thank you! We are very proud of it. I use pine shavings for the bedding, in the coop and the nesting boxes. It can fit up to 7 full grown chickens, I know that that is technically too many but these girls get along very well. I have had a flock of five that didn't get along and had bully issues. I had to cull at that point, I really believe it depends on the chickens themselves. I do wish it were bigger but it fits very nicely between the garden and our garage. And it never seems to matter on how much roosting space, the chickens always cuddle right up next to each other! But bigger is always better so error on the bigger side. If you have the space and money, go bigger. This coop and run make it very easy to care for these girls. If I had a cheap premade coop, I would hate it. A good coop is worth the time and money to do right

Thank you! We are very proud of it. I use pine shavings for the bedding, in the coop and the nesting boxes. It can fit up to 7 full grown chickens, I know that that is technically too many but these girls get along very well. I have had a flock of five that didn't get along and had bully issues. I had to cull at that point, I really believe it depends on the chickens themselves. I do wish it were bigger but it fits very nicely between the garden and our garage. And it never seems to matter on how much roosting space, the chickens always cuddle right up next to each other! But bigger is always better so error on the bigger side. If you have the space and money, go bigger. This coop and run make it very easy to care for these girls. If I had a cheap premade coop, I would hate it. A good coop is worth the time and money to do right
I very much appreciate the insight. Hope all of my girls get along.

Scratch! Just went went with 8×12. 8 ft high. 6.2 doors,tired of scratching my head. 6 extended nesting boxes,maximizing interior room. 3 6ft perches,2×4 and must have poop boxes under.
Be there 1st nite in. Hope they like it. Still have to remove old coop and cover remaining top.

Attachments

• 20240420_184431.jpg
    20240420_184431.jpg
    675.4 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom