Poll: How was your coop built?

How was your coop built?

• Total voters
I planned the coop but had help from husband for most of the construction, since he's anal about such ;). Wish I'd planned for larger--my biggest mistake!
We put posts in today to add to the hillbilly condo. Expanding out but trying to leave room for a large shed/coop down the road that’ll house all of them. Right now we have 6 different “clicks” that have their own section of the condo, and their own entrances, but unlike most of us they know their neighbors and sometimes even like them, just don’t want to sleep under the same roof.
Also, we have intentions of building a bachelor pad for just roosters.
All our builds come on a whim, but it’s easy living in Fl, only have to make sure it’s got a good roof for storms, and drop tarps for winter to cover the sides.

Cow panels,billboard vinyl.
Probably build complete wood coop down the line. The girls are demanding upgrade.

Attachments

• 20231024_152255.jpg
    20231024_152255.jpg
    756.8 KB · Views: 16
Any chance you would share the modified plans? Love Carolina Coops, but don't have the skill to built without plans.
My hubby didn't really make plans. He just watched Youtube videos from Carolina Coops and modified some of the things we weren't fans of. Like the windows. We made them slide out different. I'd be happy to share pictures if that would help

My hubby didn't really make plans. He just watched Youtube videos from Carolina Coops and modified some of the things we weren't fans of. Like the windows. We made them slide out different. I'd be happy to share pictures if that would help
Really appreciate your willingness, please and thank you. Wish we were handy like that! Quite a great skill!

Really appreciate your willingness, please and thank you. Wish we were handy like that! Quite a great skill!
No problem at all. I'm very happy with how the coop turned out, hubby is very handy with tools and such. We do the deep litter method so don't mind the bedding building up, it's almost time to clean it for the summer. The coop is 5x4 and the run is 5x12 with the addition adding on another 32 square feet.
IMG_20240415_171852205.jpg
IMG_20240415_171915874.jpg

Here is the coop front open. We do have two of the little barn doors but it made it too dark in there in the winter so the left door is plexiglass
IMG_20240415_171929648.jpg

Here you can see how the window things pull out so the girls can get fresh air in warm weather. All covered with 1/4" hardware cloth
IMG_20240415_172006133.jpg

Here the bottom long door swings down to make cleaning very easy. I just move our cart right up to the opening and scrape eveything into it with a garden hoe. Don't mind the hanging camera, they like to peck it down. If you zoom in at the back right corner, you'll see the feeder, which I fill from the outside. Holds enough food to last my seven girls about a week. Nesting boxes are on the left
IMG_20240415_172108111.jpg

Back side of everything. Love the full sized door, don't have to bend down
IMG_20240415_172119952_HDR.jpg

And here is the feeder from the outside. I wanted it to look like a silo. Only the one works, the other was for water but the girls never figured out how to drink from the cups. So I got heated nipple buckets instead, that works great. I do keep the door from the coop into the run open all the time. That way they can go outside before my lazy butt gets out of bed. It's all covered in hardware cloth and very predator proof. Feel free to ask any other questions

No problem at all. I'm very happy with how the coop turned out, hubby is very handy with tools and such. We do the deep litter method so don't mind the bedding building up, it's almost time to clean it for the summer. The coop is 5x4 and the run is 5x12 with the addition adding on another 32 square feet. View attachment 3802271View attachment 3802272
Here is the coop front open. We do have two of the little barn doors but it made it too dark in there in the winter so the left door is plexiglassView attachment 3802273
Here you can see how the window things pull out so the girls can get fresh air in warm weather. All covered with 1/4" hardware clothView attachment 3802274
Here the bottom long door swings down to make cleaning very easy. I just move our cart right up to the opening and scrape eveything into it with a garden hoe. Don't mind the hanging camera, they like to peck it down. If you zoom in at the back right corner, you'll see the feeder, which I fill from the outside. Holds enough food to last my seven girls about a week. Nesting boxes are on the leftView attachment 3802275
Back side of everything. Love the full sized door, don't have to bend downView attachment 3802276
And here is the feeder from the outside. I wanted it to look like a silo. Only the one works, the other was for water but the girls never figured out how to drink from the cups. So I got heated nipple buckets instead, that works great. I do keep the door from the coop into the run open all the time. That way they can go outside before my lazy butt gets out of bed. It's all covered in hardware cloth and very predator proof. Feel free to ask any other questions
Oh, it's just gorgeous. Thank you for sharing! Do you use hemp bedding for deep litter? How many full grown chickens? Seems 12" roisting space per hen is about right? Or would you suggest 10"?

Back
Top Bottom