Poll: How was your coop built?

How was your coop built?

• Total voters
Spent way too much on one of the plastic coops that promised to be easy-clean (lies), now I kick myself every time I have to clean it (weekly since it’s impossible to deep bed in it)…really wish I’d just bought a little shed and put up some perches! 🤦🏻‍♀️

I chose "Converted Existing Building," but the fact was, we bought the Amish shed to be 3/4 garden shed and 1/4 chicken coop. They had built it, hauled it out here, and hubby did the remodel 103.JPG IMG_0326.JPG .

It was originally built from scratch by my sister as a run I just did as I was told cause I have no carpentry skills then we covered it in plywood and it became their coop not fancy but solid and covered year round by a tarp cause it doesn’t have a proper roof

Attachments

• IMG_0029.jpeg
    IMG_0029.jpeg
    542.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I used an existing coop that was left here, and cut a whole in the side to add on an extension since my flock was too big for the little building 😂

We wanted a coop big enough to hold our dream flock and one that was easy to clean, so we took plans for a shed and modified them a bit to suit our needs. It is brand new the birds moved in a week ago and couldn't be happier as their last coop leaked and was full of mold
IMG_4617.HEIC.jpeg

i went with other. our hen house is an xl snaploc coop, attached to a modified covered kennel frame that i assembled and covered in hardware cloth and a shade tarp. it works for our flock of 5, and because of city restrictions we won't have many more than that at once. the coop was on clearance, so between that, the frame and the materials for the walls roof and apron it came to less than i could have bought lumber for at that time. run roosts are upcycled step ladders and natural branches from an ice storm a few years ago. one thing i brainfarted-i need to add gutters still.

Just build one from scratch!

It was based off a plan on Etsy from OWGardenVintage called "Small Flock Chicken Coop". I did modify some of the finishing touches to change the ventilation a bit and added a large door on the side for cleaning.. I also added some foam board insulation (wood covering inside) since it gets really cold here.

Definitely recommend the plan for the frame alone for anyone with limited experience. It has very specific step-by-step instructions. I have essentially zero experience with wood working and it came out great. Very solid.

Back
Top Bottom