[POLL] If you had to choose between getting a Welsh Harlequin or Silver Appleyard, which one would you get?

If you had to choose between getting a Welsh Harlequin or Silver Appleyard, which one would you get?

• Total voters
I love my ducks, you know that. But, they are also livestock on the homestead. The ones I have right now though are my foundation stock, so they get a pass. :) Plus, I do have my favourites (shhhh, don't tell them!)
Oh absolutely, of course I know you love your babies...I tried to make my comment "look" lighthearted as it was intended 😁

I think it depends why you want them. Both are beautiful. I would get Silver Appleyards if I wasn’t too interested in eating their eggs, I wanted meat birds, or I was interested in saving a rare breed. I would get Welsh Harlequins if I wanted eggs (for eating or selling for hatching), maybe an occasional meat bird, or just because I prefer dark bills.

Last edited:
I have all Welsh Harlequins after doing a lot of research, because we were interested primarily in eggs, but Appleyards are beautiful, and rarer. Probably depends on if you want them for meat, too, or if you want to help support a rarer breed.

(Ok, so we have 1 Pekin, because she was the only one left unsold at the feed store and was shrieking so heart-rendingly that my daughter couldn't handle it. :confused: We also rescued some pasty butt chicks at the same time, and they all think she's their mother!)

Back
Top Bottom