*poll* Make a new breed, or breed a endangered one?

Would you make a new breed, or save a endangered one?

• Total voters

Thunder344

Crowing
Sep 12, 2020
Stafford, Virginia
*I am not criticizing anybody making breeds.*
I know that a lot of people are trying to make their own breeds (you go! Keep up the good work!) But i also know that their are people trying to preserve the breeds marked as endangered, or critical. So I decided to make a poll to see you guys opinions! Would you rather make a whole new breed, or would try and save a endangered one? Here is a list i found from the Livestock Conservancy of a bunch of endangered, threatened, and critical breeds.
https://livestockconservancy.org/images/uploads/docs/CPL_2021_NO_STUDY_Poultry.pdf

I for one, would rather breed a existing breed that is marked as critical, endangered, or threatened. I currently own 15 Faverolles (you will see them on the list, they are marked as threatened, less than 5,000 birds around the world) and would rather breed them (which i am going to do when they are old enough!) and try to save them than make a new breed. What are your opinions?

What a cool topic! I am just starting my flock, and wanted a variety of different breeds so I can see temperaments for myself with there being so many different opinions. However eventually I’d like to have 2 coops/runs, one with my mixed flock, and one with a heritage breed to sell fertile eggs from. Who am I kidding? I’ll probably end up with 10 coops/runs. The family farm has the space & I’m already addicted! I would love to help increase the population of a few breeds. But I also like a rainbow basket. Only time will tell! It’s exciting getting a farm up & running after it being shut down for 30 years. ❤️
In my mixed flock, the Plymouth Rock & Australorp are on the list. (Wyandotte’s were not on the list that I could see and are the other heritage breed in my current order). I’ll be sure to include a few more from the watch list in the spring in the next chick order.

Last edited:
. I currently own 15 Faverolles (you will see them on the list, they are marked as threatened, less t
How are the Favorelles? I just checked and the local farm I ordered from has Salmon. It’s cold where I live so I went with breed suggestions from a few friends and what birds they have currently who do well in the winter.

How are the Favorelles? I just checked and the local farm I ordered from has Salmon. It’s cold where I live so I went with breed suggestions from a few friends and what birds they have currently who do well in the winter.
Faverolles are the cutest ever. They are extremely docile, (my cockerels will sit in my lap) but can be a bit loud. My three oldest (they're all hens) are very, very loud. They are pretty cold hardy, but since they have feathers on their feet and beards, you might have to dry them off in winter to prevent frostbite. I personally have never had to do that. I wish everyone had Faverolles. Their my favorite breed so far.

I have Spitzhaubens and Sebrights, both in the ‘threatened‘ category. However, just for fun, I crossed the two, creating a ‘designer’ mix I call ‘Sprights.’ No I am not promoting this cross, nor calling it a new breed, but they are delightful birds...and everything I hoped they would be.
Here is a pic, the mixed daughter, the Spitzhauben father. And another 2 of the Sprights. They all look just alike, I had to put leg bands on them to tell them apart.
CBDCB6C1-9AB4-41EA-A27E-8D38EF0C10EB.jpeg 300

Depends on what you consider breeding them. I have some of the ones on the list, but they're from hatcheries so quite a lot of people claim those birds don't count. But I'm also not going to go and spend a fortune in those breeds to preserve them unless I'm actually wanting to enough. My hatchery ones look just fine and are close enough to the main idea of the standard.

Depends on what you consider breeding them. I have some of the ones on the list, but they're from hatcheries so quite a lot of people claim those birds don't count. But I'm also not going to go and spend a fortune in those breeds to preserve them unless I'm actually wanting to enough. My hatchery ones look just fine and are close enough to the main idea of the standard.
I also have my own plans to make new varieties of existing breeds, so I don't know where you wanna add that, as preserving or new breed

Back
Top Bottom