Poll of sorts - medicated or non-medicated, and why?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ssledoux, Feb 27, 2009.

1. ssledoux

ssledoux Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    I'm just doing a poll of sorts based on the discussions about difficulties of finding non-med feeds (especially in certain areas).

So, do you feed medicated or non-medicated, and why do you make the choice you do?

2. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    [​IMG]

3. ssledoux

Mar 14, 2007
    Okay, I must be missing something. What's the deal with the popcorn?? I'm fairly new here and don't get it...

4. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Medicated... Farm stores in the area only carry that. Plus, I like the extra piece of mind. I have not had to mess with cocci and I really DO NOT want to!

5. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    I haven't raised any meat birds yet, but when I do I'll be using non-medicated feed. One of the reasons I want to raise my own food is to keep my daughter from being over exposed to the medications that are being fed to our commercial meat animals.

As near as I can tell, whatever goes into the bird goes into the meat or eggs, and then into the person who eats the meat or eggs. The chicks I have now are getting lots of nutrient rich fruit juice to help build their immune systems.

6. mamaginabean

mamaginabean Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2009
    MI
    Quote:I'm new here too, but on most boards it means that the person is just watching and waiting to see what everyone has to say [​IMG]

7. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:It's like we are waiting... to see the answer. Like your watching something- like a movie and are really interested!!!

8. ssledoux

Mar 14, 2007
    Tell me more about the fruit juices. That sounds really interesting. I put apple cider vinegar in the water last year and I'm planning on doing that again.

9. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    Chicks get medicated for the first few weeks, then it is non-medicated.

10. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

I go non-medicated. Otherwise, what's the point in raising your own? You certainly don't save money raising your own chickens! Not to mention, medicated feed doesn't guarentee your birds won't get sick- it doesn't even guarentee that they won't get cocci. Cornish X's are prone to dying, and you can't stop that. I don't like the idea of feeding my baby a chicken that contains what the govt. defines as an "acceptable" level of chemical residue. Non-medicated is easy to find. Personally, I've never even SEEN a bag of medicated broiler feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by