*POLL* Should a strain of chickens carry the breeder's name?

*POLL* Should a strain of chickens carry it's breeder's name?

• Total voters
If I bought a pair of something that generations of a human family bred up to be top shelf then sold the chicks as mine I'm pretty sure I'd soon get a visit from some very persuasive people to maybe not do that
You might be surprised. Most of the breeders i wind up in conversations with are more likely to be irritated that people are still using their good name to sell birds that haven't been in their control for years. Mentioning where your original stock came from and how long ago is of course appropriate and helps puts the background in context, but still selling chicks as "[breeder name] line" ten years after you bought birds from them is generally not much appreciated. People can ruin a line with a single season of breeding even good birds, and nobody really wants to be associated with someone else's potentially awful breeding decisions.

You might be surprised. Most of the breeders i wind up in conversations with are more likely to be irritated that people are still using their good name to sell birds that haven't been in their control for years. Mentioning where your original stock came from and how long ago is of course appropriate and helps puts the background in context, but still selling chicks as "[breeder name] line" ten years after you bought birds from them is generally not much appreciated. People can ruin a line with a single season of breeding even good birds, and nobody really wants to be associated with someone else's potentially awful breeding decisions.
I didn't say 10 years of breeding and yes folks around here would be. I'm not talking 50 years ago Walter kelso
I'm talking about men still living and thriving local names

southpark-beat.gif

Screenshot_20220116-210443(1).png

So birds that came from their yard that they bred?
It's pretty cut and dry. Let me use an actual breeder still alive. Mr. Larry Romero (Green Jean farms) if I were to buy a pair of his famous straight comb Albany then breed them and call the chicks sdm Albany I think that would be most disrestful and I just may get a visit letting me know that that's not in my best interest and may want to rethink that since it was him and his family that developed that specific family of the breed.

I'll even throw this out there. This fella here maybe 6-7mo. is from parents from his yard but it's still his not mine
I know I bred the parents
1067146-6e129e4430fc0124f25ca853d09fee08.jpg

Would not have been sold either way

I'll even throw this out there. This fella here maybe 6-7mo. is from parents from his yard but it's still his not mine
I know I bred the parents
View attachment 2963817

Would not have been sold either way
How else can you operate unless you know your foundation stock? What you want to do with it,where you want to go? It's a road map and everything has names.

How else can you operate unless you know your foundation stock? What you want to do with it,where you want to go? It's a road map and everything has names.
The problem lies within people who peddle chickens to unknowing people just getting into it. I always tell people spend your money on supplies and housing and such cause chances are the first few expensive birds you aquire just may not be what you were told and you realize after a couple few years in. In my opinion you really need to be in the loop as they say to get good gamefowl and after that you more than likely won't pay a dime for any.

It's pretty cut and dry. Let me use an actual breeder still alive. Mr. Larry Romero (Green Jean farms) if I were to buy a pair of his famous straight comb Albany then breed them and call the chicks sdm Albany I think that would be most disrestful and I just may get a visit letting me know that that's not in my best interest and may want to rethink that since it was him and his family that developed that specific family of the breed.
Yeah, I agree with you. After one generation you haven't really put any work into that line at all. But how long you gonna keep calling them Albany? Where's the cut-off? It's all just a weird gray area. Seems the best lines are the ones that get named after their creator by other people due to consistent high reputation, not via someone arbitrarily giving their line a name themselves. I guess the game world and the domestic chicken world are very different on this point, though. My familiarity with all that in the game world comes pretty exclusively from listening to interviews with breeders on podcasts and I'm just repeating what they say about how little many of these names mean now, but that does seem to be in regards to a bunch of guys that are long since-dead, not current breeders. How people feel about it in domestics is from just being around and knowing breeders and hearing them consistently complain about people continuing to use their name long after the birds left their yard.

No, a breed that they put time and effort into creating. Now to quote Miami Leghorn, quit beating a dead horse.

My bad, didn't realize the thread had been closed.

Back
Top Bottom