Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Turkeys

• Geese

• Divorce the DH & get peafowl?

• Total voters
I've had turkeys and geese and liked my turkeys loads more. They were just friendlier by nature and very pretty. They were pretty dumb and weren't smart enough to get inside out of the snow so we lost one to that once... but other than that they're great! And home grown turkey is so so good, can't compare it to the frozen store bought stuff.

I voted for Turkeys, because they will just blend in
wink.png
. I would have voted for the guineas too, but I could only vote for 1. I have had the ducks, and they went to PC to get smoked.
roll.png
they were messier than 100 chickens and guineas combined. As far as brooding goes, get a broody hen and let her hatch them. Most of mine were hatched by chickens, my guineas too. They seem to think they are chickens and will stay with the chickens.

If I can make a suggestion..QUAIL.They only need 1 sq ft bird,If you get coturnix they will lay at 8 weeks and about every day for the rest of the year,they are not to loud or to stinky there are many different kinds so if you want a beutiful one go and get it but make sure you have enough space for them.Most people who cant eat chicken eggs can eat quail eggs there meat is delicous if your up for butchering them and there cute!

Quote:
Oh that is funny
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
, I think she want REAL birds, Next thing will be a sudgestion that she gets SILKIES.
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif

Then trade in your dog for a Poodle while your at it.
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif

Quote:
Hey Now!
smack.gif

Looks like I am going to be stuck with chickens. Turkeys sounded great, but then Lovin mentioned the whole car roosting thing. I don't really worry about scratches on my jeep...it's a JEEP for goodness sakes! but DH is kinda picky about his jeep getting scratched and he's extra paranoid about anything happening to his pickup. We don't have a garage, just a carport and even though it's inside the fenced yard and the birds would be presumbably outside the fence, the thought of birds roosting on his truck is the stuff my nightmares are made of. **Flashbacks to my rooster roosting on the harley
ep.gif
*** Definitely not an experience I want to repeat.
Besides, if I get turkeys I'd definitely want a tom turkey in there somewhere.
hmm.png

And MC? I threaten Jax with being traded for a poodle all the time. Ain't gonna happen in this lifetime.
tongue2.gif

I voted ducks they can be loud "sometimes" but they are very hardy and are fun to have and they won't get on your car.
I have Call ducks and they are loud but i did have Cayuga's and they were very quiet.

Turkeys well the Toms can get aggressive and they get blackhead from chicken poop.
Guineas are loud and often and wander to neighbors houses
Peacocks will get on your car on your roof and fly to the neighbors to see what they are doing.

I have turkeys but they are isolated on new ground away from my chickens
I have peafowl but they are caged to prevent them from wandering
I "Had" 3 guineas for about a month wouldn't have them again

Quote:
You can have the Tom, those are the only ones I have that dont fly. My guineas have been known to roost on the roof rack of the van. I bet they would enjoy a nice light bar on a cruiser, just not sure how well they could hold on if he has to answer a call.

I'd like to get a few guineas to keep bugs and snakes down, but DH isn't going for it. I had my share of wild turkeys back when I used to work on a ranch near state land. HUNDREDS would swoop down at feeding time to snatch what they could.

Back
Top Bottom