Poll: What do you do with all of the cockerels you hatch or get?

What do you do with all the cockerels you hatch?

• Keep them

Votes: 14 43.8%
  • Freezer camp

• Rehome them

• Be shocked they’re boys every time and freak out

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters
If they behave and I can find a place for them, I keep them. If they behave but I don't have room for them, I try to rehomr. If I can't find a home or they're jerks I eat them. I won't try to rehome mean males but I try my hardest to not eat nice males that fit what I'm looking fir

Hatch rates are always about 50/50 be it a hatchery, breeder, or backyard flock. Hen to cockerel ratio being 10:1 that leaves 9 roosters flockless. Poor fellas don't have many options.

Can't hardly even give a rooster away in my area. If you do his times up. So I give them the best life I can, good feed, free-range, most always drink rainwater, and plenty of space until its time.

Hatch rates are always about 50/50 be it a hatchery, breeder, or backyard flock. Hen to cockerel ratio being 10:1 that leaves 9 roosters flockless. Poor fellas don't have many options.

Can't hardly even give a rooster away in my area. If you do his times up. So I give them the best life I can, good feed, free-range, most always drink rainwater, and plenty of space until its time.
I have the same experience here. I have never been able to successfully rehome a rooster in my area. I amost think it’s a myth. When rehomed I knew they were being rehomed to the stew pot. Due to this I avoid straight run entirely and only hatch from broodies (only my best girls). Those boys I just try to not get attached to.

If they behave and I can find a place for them, I keep them. If they behave but I don't have room for them, I try to rehomr. If I can't find a home or they're jerks I eat them. I won't try to rehome mean males but I try my hardest to not eat nice males that fit what I'm looking fir

How many have you had at once?

I’m interested in this topic because I always see hatching threads and people saying they hatch constantly and am always wondering if all the boys are for the freezer or not. Again -for me in my area trying to rehoming is like trying to catch unicorn piss.

I was thinking roosters, but I guess both numbers would put it in perspective.
Usually it's 13 staying males and any that ended up hat ch ing, but that number might double next spring when I get new breeds. I have around 50 chickens total now, and will have about 200 chicks coming next spring before I decide who stays

Back
Top Bottom