Poll: What kind of Meat Birds do you raise?

What kind(s) of poultry do you raise for meat?

• Chicken: Cornish Cross (or other commercial meat hybrid)

Votes: 35 47.3%
  • Chicken: Heritage Breed

Votes: 23 31.1%
  • Chicken: Barnyard Mix or Backyard Breeding Project

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • Ducks

Votes: 15 20.3%
  • Geese

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Turkeys

Votes: 15 20.3%
  • Quail

Votes: 11 14.9%
  • None Yet

Votes: 14 18.9%

• Total voters
Thank you! Is there a reason you wait that long/don't do it later?
This is a good question. Depending on when they begin to crow and your neighborhood, and how large you want the bird to be. I have a heritage breed, Barred Holland, and they started crowing as young as 10 weeks. I processed some @ 12 weeks, they were a little under 2 pounds dressed. They were good on the BBQ. I had done all of the boys except the 2 largest at 14 weeks. I had 7 in that batch, the next batch I did not want to keep any males, they were all processed by 12 weeks. Not as tender as a store Cornish-X, but very tasty little fryers. I like to fry them in my pressure cooker, it is faster that way. 2 pounds plucked and dressed is fine for the 2 of us. If I waited until these boys were 18 weeks, that would be 8 weeks of 7 roosters crowing instead of 2 to 4 weeks. So a lot depends on the breed you are raising.

This is a good question. Depending on when they begin to crow and your neighborhood, and how large you want the bird to be. I have a heritage breed, Barred Holland, and they started crowing as young as 10 weeks. I processed some @ 12 weeks, they were a little under 2 pounds dressed. They were good on the BBQ. I had done all of the boys except the 2 largest at 14 weeks. I had 7 in that batch, the next batch I did not want to keep any males, they were all processed by 12 weeks. Not as tender as a store Cornish-X, but very tasty little fryers. I like to fry them in my pressure cooker, it is faster that way. 2 pounds plucked and dressed is fine for the 2 of us. If I waited until these boys were 18 weeks, that would be 8 weeks of 7 roosters crowing instead of 2 to 4 weeks. So a lot depends on the breed you are raising.
Thank you, this is very helpful!

I'm actually getting some Barred Holland hatching eggs sometime in May from a breeder. I plan on breeding them next spring! What is your experience with them and any tips?

Thank you, this is very helpful!

I'm actually getting some Barred Holland hatching eggs sometime in May from a breeder. I plan on breeding them next spring! What is your experience with them and any tips?
I have not hatched any, I got my flock as chicks from a breeder on here @rjohns39 .
I like them. They are nice and calm, like a rock. The eggs from the birds I got from @rjohns39 are just as white as a Leghorn egg. I also got some birds from Sandhill Preservation to compare. Those chicks were very hardy and fast growing, but are laying eggs of varying tinted shades, not all white, but a lot and early maturity. I like the breed and prefer it to a Leghorn in the flock. They mature pretty early, the boys were crowing as young as 10 weeks, like a Leghorn cockerel would. The hens are smaller than rocks, and the eggs are smaller, too. Unless you like hatching eggs, ordering chicks is very easy. I got a box of 26, all lived. I split the flock with a friend who can keep roosters legally, and I kept one cockerel here to just try. Here is a photo of mine. They are a very easy breed, and more people should keep them, I think!

Attachments

• Barred Holland_flock.jpg
    Barred Holland_flock.jpg
    904.6 KB · Views: 5
I have not hatched any, I got my flock as chicks from a breeder on here @rjohns39 .
I like them. They are nice and calm, like a rock. The eggs from the birds I got from @rjohns39 are just as white as a Leghorn egg. I also got some birds from Sandhill Preservation to compare. Those chicks were very hardy and fast growing, but are laying eggs of varying tinted shades, not all white, but a lot and early maturity. I like the breed and prefer it to a Leghorn in the flock. They mature pretty early, the boys were crowing as young as 10 weeks, like a Leghorn cockerel would. The hens are smaller than rocks, and the eggs are smaller, too. Unless you like hatching eggs, ordering chicks is very easy. I got a box of 26, all lived. I split the flock with a friend who can keep roosters legally, and I kept one cockerel here to just try. Here is a photo of mine. They are a very easy breed, and more people should keep them, I think!
They're so pretty! Thank you for the feedback! It is often the small details that make the difference. The breeder I am buying from is currently working on weight and a bit of plumage and hasn't started on perfecting the egg color yet. I believe she sourced from Sandhill.

They're so pretty! Thank you for the feedback! It is often the small details that make the difference. The breeder I am buying from is currently working on weight and a bit of plumage and hasn't started on perfecting the egg color yet. I believe she sourced from Sandhill.
The Sandhill birds are very hardy. 21 shipped, 21 lived and it was hot when they were shipped in Sept. They have a floppy comb on the cockerels, reminds me of Leghorn comb. I did not want to keep any of those cockerels. The birds I got from the breeder in TN have better looks and whiter eggs, and seem to be larger but they are older, we will see in a year. The cockerels from both were about the same weights when I had to process them due to the amount of crowing going on. I never heard of these before I started to get back into chickens and came on here. They were just what I wanted, nice girls that lay white eggs. For high production of white eggs, Leghorns are better. But Leghorns do not always fit in a nice flock. These should be more common, in my opinion. I can not recommend the breeder I got them from highly enough.

What breed are these? How much do they weigh? Have any of the eggs hatched?
Hens are 8.5 plus lbs, roosters 12 plus.. Just hatched 49 chicks.. They are a hybrid of some sort, and are so far darn good layers too, lot of monster double yolkers.. I'll know in 8-10 weeks how they perform for a 2nd gen.. If they kick tail, we'll be devoted to these guys..

Attachments

• 20210110_173339.jpg
    20210110_173339.jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 4
Do the barred holland stay true to type in successive generations?

Back
Top Bottom