Poll: Yet Another Dog Attack

Dog Attack versus Other Predators

• Have you lost a chicken or chickens to a dog attack?

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Have you recovered a chicken or chickens following a dog attack?

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Have you lost a chicken or chickens to a different predator attack?

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Have you recovered a chicken or chickens following an attack from a different predator?

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters

Teila

Bambrook Bantams
6 Years
Apr 15, 2013
Forrest Beach, FNQ, Australia
Touch wood … My gals have not experienced a predator attack of any description.

I have lost a couple to ailments and that was traumatic enough but to even imagine one of my gals being ripped to pieces, eaten or badly injured is heartbreaking
hit.gif

I have lost count of how many threads I have seen regarding dog attack from either the owners’ dog or the neighbours’ dog etc. Even those in secure runs whose free range is supervised .. gate accidentally left open .. dog managed to break in ... chicken flew out of run etc etc etc

There is no point to my thread really except to say that after reading yet another dog attack post this morning, it really does sadden me to see our feathered friends injured in such a way
sad.png

Out of curiosity I searched ‘Dog Attack’ on BYC and came up with 25,996 threads!

If only there was a way to dog-proof them!

As morbid as it may sound and I am not sure if this has been done in the past, but I thought it would be interesting to run a poll on who has lost chickens to a dog attack, who has managed to recover chickens from a dog attack versus all other predators; just to see if the dogs outweigh all other predators and whether the recovery rate following the attack means that we are scoring a minor win.

My biggest issue to date has been with raccoons. They are not even native to my state; they were introduced by people who wanted to hunt them. So far, for me, if a raccoon gets hold of a bird, they die.
sad.png

However, keep in mind that I also raise dairy goats and dogs are the #1 killer of goats in the US. So I'm already taking extreme measures to keep dogs off my place. I have had determined dogs dig under 5 fences in one night, to get at the goats. Therefore I lock my goats up in the barn at night. Dogs can not get into my barn; it has solid concrete foundations poured all the way around it, no areas missed, down to 3'. I have put my coop inside a stall in the barn, for this very reason: it makes a LOT harder for a predator to get at the birds at night.

We got one hen back from a dog attack. She doing great her tail feathers arent straight since he pretty much tore off the tail and it healed crookedly but she a great layer and is one of the top hens. However we have lost 13 to dog attacks so not sure that out weighs it or not.

About a week ago a coon tried to break though the closed iron chicken door that leads into the coop (unsuccessfully of course. My coop is like a bomb shelter. LOL). I'll probably set a live trap out tonight and see if I can catch the little bugger!

Living in residential Aus, the greatest threat to my gals is neighbourhood dogs and cats. Free range is always supervised and I have the coop and run as secure as I can.

My heart goes out to anyone who has lost a chicken to a predator .. as I mentioned, it is my greatest feat to go out and see one of my beautiful girls badly injured or worse.

I have never intentionally harmed any animal and while I say that I do not think I could; in the back of my mind I am not so sure how I would react.

Touch wood … My gals have not experienced a predator attack of any description.

I have lost a couple to ailments and that was traumatic enough but to even imagine one of my gals being ripped to pieces, eaten or badly injured is heartbreaking
hit.gif

I have lost count of how many threads I have seen regarding dog attack from either the owners’ dog or the neighbours’ dog etc. Even those in secure runs whose free range is supervised .. gate accidentally left open .. dog managed to break in ... chicken flew out of run etc etc etc

There is no point to my thread really except to say that after reading yet another dog attack post this morning, it really does sadden me to see our feathered friends injured in such a way
sad.png

Out of curiosity I searched ‘Dog Attack’ on BYC and came up with 25,996 threads!

If only there was a way to dog-proof them!

As morbid as it may sound and I am not sure if this has been done in the past, but I thought it would be interesting to run a poll on who has lost chickens to a dog attack, who has managed to recover chickens from a dog attack versus all other predators; just to see if the dogs outweigh all other predators and whether the recovery rate following the attack means that we are scoring a minor win.
😜sounds like a terrific idea as my husband has been after dogs that have attacked our sheep for years and just two days ago and today. Broke a sheep's leg from the attack. My husband is a hunter and is out a lot trying to find the dogs. The worst part about it is what they go through and loss of income and our sheep. He is so upset and nobody is answerable so a poll might be a great idea!!! Thankyou

😜sounds like a terrific idea as my husband has been after dogs that have attacked our sheep for years and just two days ago and today. Broke a sheep's leg from the attack. My husband is a hunter and is out a lot trying to find the dogs. The worst part about it is what they go through and loss of income and our sheep. He is so upset and nobody is answerable so a poll might be a great idea!!! Thankyou
Have had the same thing happen with chickens,geese,ducks or they just vanish without a trace. Forgot to put that in the post.🐣

Back
Top Bottom