polly the chicken?

Oh yes... it has changed IMMENSELY in the last 10 years that I've been here, even.
smile.png

I want to say she's an OEGB cross. The grey/green legs are stumping me though. I'm no expert, of course, but it's always fun to guess.
smile.png
Whatever she is, she's cute and I bet she'd be a great little momma.

She is the SWEETEST bird.. I am a milk test verifyer for DHI california. last summer I got a bright idea to offer my services to people who have milking livestock (you know what its like to want to go out for a weekend but you have chores to do) so anyway I charge a resonable rate of 2.50 per animal milked per milking and then since gas is so high here I charge a gas fee or 50 cents per mile per trip after the first 10 miles per day.... OK so I was milking for this lady who lives about 30 miles from me so she could go moose hunting. she was gone for like 2 weeks.... anyway my little girl went with me frequently and she fed the chickens while I milked the goats. Polly would come to her and she would pick her up and pet her every day. (she NEVER had to chase this chicken). so the day that we finished the job she says to me MOM I wish I could take Polly home. I said I understand but we have no place to put her. she said mom we have that old guinea pig set up couldnt we put her in there? I said yeah but we would have to ask the owner if we could have her.... so any way I took this one chicken as a partial payment for the milkings. My daughter uses her for show in 4-h because she is SOOOOO calm... I go to clean out her caage and she hops out and cleans the floor up in my rabbit barn... she is gentle and sweet.....

when we first got her she was a singlton chicken... she was in our garage. and she was LOANLY...... she would CROW like a rooster we could hear her in the garage.. all the way in the living room upstairs. it was nuts... so we ended up getting one m more and named her eva. she is a black sex-link.

its funny cause my hubby who says he does not like my animals would make me laugh... he would be in the garage working on some dude project... I would hear him yelling at the chicken to shut up..... i would LUAGH... one day he was in there I hear the chicken crowing and chirping (this is before we got the second one) hubby is in there he yells accross the garage and says "brack, brack, brack, for @@#$ sake POLLY, SHUT THE #$!! up" I about peed my self laughing.

Oh BTW I have my 2 chickens in a human baby play pen. they have a plastic courugated floor (the kind of material that signs are made of) I use pune shavings.I will try to get a photo for you all. they were fighting, one is considerably smaller than the other and was very agressive with the food. so I had the hubby build a divider and two nest boxes so the girls can still see each other (which keeps them quiet) they love thier nest boxes and I see them chillin there frequently. they drink from rabbit water bottles. I clean thier houses about 1X a week. they get lotsa pampering meal worms, red wigglers, and crickets. and some house scraps. layer crumble, oyster shell, and scratch. they love anything GREEN!!!! and my favorite to give them is cooked spagetti it makes me laugh.

I have rabbits to but I am quickly learning that the chickens really offer me something that the rabbits DONT (EGGS!!!!!)plus the chickens are cleaner.... seriously rabbits are dirty animals... they make a hugh mess.....

anyway I am so excited about getting my 33 button quail today I only was able to sleep 4 hours.... now I am up reading more BYC!!!!

oh yeah wasill ahas change so much in the 2 years we have lived her. we now have a walmart, chilis, a target, lowes home depot, fred myers..... its really growing. oh a sears too. I dont go to anchorage except about once every 3 months to hit the military base commisary up.... with gas still at $2:50 a gallon and my hubby has to go there every day we cant afford to go in that often... but yeah wasilla has changed aallot...
and I swear if one more person ask me is SARAH PALIN is my neighbor I'm gonna LOSE it!!!!! wasilla is HUGH!!!!! it takes me about 40 minutes to get from my house to palmer (which is the other side of the burough-which is what we call our county's) Palin live and the driving speed limit is 55mph..... Sorry I am ranting!!!!

ok I already love it here thanks guys!

Well, I have some wonderful news for you all!!!! I think I have narrowed it down to what Polly is..... I gave a few of my rabbits back to the breeder I got them from yesterday (she needed the does back because she has not had any babies this year bad luck or something) while I was there she had this little chicken in a cage in the rabbit barn here is the converstaion:

Me- so why is this chicken in here, is he hurt?
her-NO, he killed 3 young cochins and is not allowed back in the coop. but he is my daughters pet rooster and she wont let me off him....
Me- are you sure its a rooster?
her-yeah I caught him crowing, it was so soft I wasnt sure it was him till I SAW it comming from him.
me-so what kind of chicken is it?
her-it is a game bird/seabright cross.
me-could I borrow him?
her-you can have him, just dont eat him my kid would KILL me. but you gotta ask her first...(she calls kid out)
kid-yeah mom.
me-I was wondering if I could borrow your rooster?
kid-WHY?
me-I just built and incubator and want to try setting some fertilized eggs but dont have a rooster. you ma said his crow is soft and not to loud so I could have him in my barn and he wouldnt be noticed. I promise I wont eat him.
kid-sure take good care of him. he is pretty.
me-yeah I wont mistreat him kiddo, he is really cute.
kid leaves, mom says-he can stay with you I dont want him back.

So long story short I got me a roo and he looks just like Polly but he is the color of lightly toasted marshmellow (his name is marshmellow!)

I was a bit worried about him beating polly up but polly wasnt to happy about him comming into her area! she whooped his but.....

do roosters eventually figure it out? how will I know if he is breeding her if I dont actually see the act?

Oh dear... you've been bitten big time, haven't you!
lol.png

I would give him a couple of weeks to settle in and do his business with Polly... then try setting the eggs. You'll be able to candle by day 5-6 and see veings in the eggs if they're fertile. You can also tell by cracking the egg open and looking for the little white round spot on the egg... if it has an outer ring, like a bullseye, it's fertile. Speckledhen has a thread here that shows what a fertile egg looks like.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom