Pond Duck Hatched 12 Left 3 pipped

That is good to hear. I am sorry you lost one. Sometimes, they just don't make it. Prayers to you and your ducklings🙏

So....now I have one duck who doesn't like water....🙄🤦‍♀️

Attachments

• 20220612_172534.jpg
    20220612_172534.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220612_172529.jpg
    20220612_172529.jpg
    463.4 KB · Views: 1
The mother is not going to come back. Take any eggs and ducklings and raise them yourself. They're lucky to have you! Usually any ducklings that don't hatch in time get left and die. She will not go back to the nest anymore to check. Just like with chicken hens. Once they leave with their babies any remaining eggs are goners.

The mother is not going to come back. Take any eggs and ducklings and raise them yourself. They're lucky to have you! Usually any ducklings that don't hatch in time get left and die. She will not go back to the nest anymore to check. Just like with chicken hens. Once they leave with their babies any remaining eggs are goners.
So I found out....
This duck mom stuff is hard!
Now I'm wondering, do I raise them completely until they are 5-6 weeks old or is there a chance she will take them as hers now? I have read that after the first day they pretty much know who their babies are, but since these are genetically hers, would she recognize that at all or no?

So I found out....
This duck mom stuff is hard!
Now I'm wondering, do I raise them completely until they are 5-6 weeks old or is there a chance she will take them as hers now? I have read that after the first day they pretty much know who their babies are, but since these are genetically hers, would she recognize that at all or no?
Haha! They are hard and very messy, lol. You could see if a rescue would possibly take them in.
She will most likely not take them back. If you try the ducklings might swim out and you won't be able to get them back. She will not recognize them as her own, no. If you can get close enough to the mother you can try, but just be prepared to re-catch them if it doesn't work out.
What are you feeding them?

Haha! They are hard and very messy, lol. You could see if a rescue would possibly take them in.
She will most likely not take them back. If you try the ducklings might swim out and you won't be able to get them back. She will not recognize them as her own, no. If you can get close enough to the mother you can try, but just be prepared to re-catch them if it doesn't work out.
What are you feeding them?
I do wildlife rescue. It's just usually coons, possums, deer, a random beaver, squirrels....lol

The parent ducks are two i bought from Rural King last year. I raised them until they were big enough to go on the pond. I dont mind raising these too, I just always feel like babies are better with mom....if there is a mom.
I just wondered if genetically she would recognize them as hers. I was guessing, no. And although she will come up to me pretty close, im afraid if the 2 human hatched babies get mixed up on the pond, ill have a hard time intervening unless they CHOSE to come back.
I'm already having to periodically go outside and separate dad from the babies and momma. Momma will come stand under my kitchen window and, for lack of a better word, scream for me to come out.

Its really all so ridiculous.
20220614_132836.jpg

Back
Top Bottom