Pond laying ducks!?

vfem

Yoga...The Chicken Pose
11 Years
Aug 4, 2008
Fuquay Varina, NC
For real?! My duck is just dropping her eggs right into the pond where ever she happens to be. I'm luck to fish 1 or 2 out with a net once a week. She had a cute little nest I found a whole pile in about a month ago. I found the next and she took off and stopped laying there....

What is up with the randomly laying eggs in the pond? Does anyone else have to deal with that?

I keep expecting a few of our girls to lay in the pond but they haven't as yet. Most of them prefer to lay in the same nest in the hay I sprinkle around in the doghouse, but there's a few that just lay loose in the pen.

Essentially, we've bred the brooding skills right out of some breeds.

Do the eggs have a good solid shell? Somebody on here had that problem a little while back and it seems the duck was having trouble passing some eggs with shells that were not well formed. Being in the water helped her relax enough to get them out. Anyway she needed more calcium. Won't be nice if there is a simple solution like that?

Problem is my pond is 2 acres... so I can only fish a few out through the week. Now, she had nested at one point until I found the nest in my neighbor's yard under her bird houses.

I can not pen these birds... we tried but they took off onto the pond and refuse to come back. Part of the pond is on someone else's property so we can't fence the pond area in for them either. Luckily, the neighbor's love the ducks and sit and feed them for us too! LOL

Oh well, they are pekins... so I'm sure they will chose when and how and where they will lay.

However, the eggs we fish out are solid, dark orange yolks and the most WONDERFUL eggs we've ever eaten. (Try to make your own mayo with duck eggs, you won't be disappointed, but you won't buy another jar from the grocery store ever again!!!)

VFEM would you mind sharing your mayo recipe?
droolin.gif

Go to the recipe section and follow MissPrissy's recipe, just change out with a duck egg!
wink.png

I add a bit of extra virgin olive oil and then finish it up with 3/4 cup of soy oil (veggie oil). I rather have cracked black pepper corns then white pepper too.
tongue.png

Here's one spot I have to pull them up from... I got a huge make shift net to do it with.

pond_fall1.jpg

Little feathered runts!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom