Launchpad

Songster
May 24, 2022
Central Texas
I've found a few threads similar but not on the specific issue.

Roz, a 1 year old female Silver Appleyard, has recently become broody.
She hangs out with/ nests with 2 cayuga. One male one female. Never had any issues.

Both females share a nest for egg laying and have for months. Recently, Roz the SA, has become broody and has been sitting on the both eggs. At first, I would just get close to her in the morning and she would eventually get off the nest and follow the other two off into the yard. Now she must be physically removed.
So i have just been waiting until the afternoon when she goes into the pond (verbal Texas, she's gotta go at some point) to go collect the eggs.

However, over the last 3 or four days, I have found only one egg. And it's definitely the Cayuga's egg, not hers. This is the longest she's gone since she started laying to not lay. Is this a behavior that is somewhat normal because she is broody or should i be concerned?
I have looked for an alternate nest where she goes in the afternoon but no luck. And wouldn't make sense for her to lay somewhere else.
I've never dealt with an egg bound duck but she walks/seems fine. Just no regular egg.

Any and all help is appreciated

When one is egg-bound they will spend time in the nest and they will pump their bum and their vent will pulse.They usually will spend time away from the flock too. I had a Runner egg bound and she didn't act normal.

If you don't want to let her sit you need to break her of her broodiness. Put her in a wire bottom cage raised off the ground for a few days (may have to go longer depending on how long she takes). Give her food and water but don't give her anything soft or warm to lay on. You are trying to cool her underside down. After her broodiness is broken, she should go back to laying in a couple weeks.

If you don't want to let her sit you need to break her of her broodiness. Put her in a wire bottom cage raised off the ground for a few days (may have to go longer depending on how long she takes). Give her food and water but don't give her anything soft or warm to lay on. You are trying to cool her underside down. After her broodiness is broken, she should go back to laying in a couple weeks.
Gotcha
I've been kicking her off the nest in the morning and she just goes out with the other ducks. In the evening, she immediately goes back to the nest.
I could stay puttingb her in a kennel in the pen at night with food and water
I don't mind that she is broody, especially since i have 6 other females (4 that are just at 7 months so should start laying any day) i just don't want her to get in a cycle she will not break.
Is it good for her to take a long break from laying? Should i not worry about it and she will eventually go back to her routine?

It kind of depends. If she is in good health, she should be okay. But its not good for them to sit and sit for an extended period of time.

I've also had luck with letting broody hens sit for a few weeks and then kicking them off the nest. Also take all the eggs and destroy the nest she was on. I think this method tricks their brains into thinking the eggs were eaten and they stop sitting. It may not work for all broodies, I've only tried it on a couple ducks.

I did this because the ducks were on infertile eggs and they rejected the ducklings I got for them to adopt. I allowed them to sit to encourage the broody hormones but after they rejected the ducklings, I didn't want them to sit longer. No point since they would never hatch their own.

My Muscovy was sitting she had only one egg somehow she managed to crack it and it just kept getting larger so I finally took it the duckling was dead I took Dolly off her nest put her outside removed all her nesting material replaced with new shavings. She went in that evening got up where her nest was saw it was different and she was done hasn’t gone back once.

Back
Top Bottom