It kind of depends. If she is in good health, she should be okay. But its not good for them to sit and sit for an extended period of time.

I've also had luck with letting broody hens sit for a few weeks and then kicking them off the nest. Also take all the eggs and destroy the nest she was on. I think this method tricks their brains into thinking the eggs were eaten and they stop sitting. It may not work for all broodies, I've only tried it on a couple ducks.

I did this because the ducks were on infertile eggs and they rejected the ducklings I got for them to adopt. I allowed them to sit to encourage the broody hormones but after they rejected the ducklings, I didn't want them to sit longer. No point since they would never hatch their own.
I will begin destroying her best when i kick her out in the morning and see what happens
The last two nights she isn't even sitting on an egg as the other such is laying elsewhere for the first time since this broodiness began

My Muscovy was sitting she had only one egg somehow she managed to crack it and it just kept getting larger so I finally took it the duckling was dead I took Dolly off her nest put her outside removed all her nesting material replaced with new shavings. She went in that evening got up where her nest was saw it was different and she was done hasn’t gone back once.
This week be my play over the next few days see if i can get a similar result

Back
Top Bottom