Pond liners for duck pond

JStark

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 10, 2009
I tried the cheapo way - 4 mil. plastic - and it worked about as expected: for about 8 hours. Then, the ferocious claws of my monster Welsh Harlequins (the name strikes fear into the hearts of worms everywhere) tore it to ribbons. Or, they at least popped a couple of holes in, and my pond drained.

So... anybody have any experience with good, tough pond liners? If so, would you care to enlighten?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have a couple waiting for me to dig a hole to put them in. (as if)

I will probably put them over the garden to help warm the soil and go buy a rigid 350 gallon rigid liner from Home Depot like we used to have.

hi i use builders film in mine the thickest is the best but the 200 one is just as great its half the price of the pond liners and u can always double up

Peachie, I'm guessing you are Australian? I ask because I googled "builders film" and that's what I got...

I've tried the builders film, but only the really thin stuff. Does "200" refer to the mil. rating they use in the states? Because mine was 4 mil., and the EPDM liners I've seen advertised are usually 45 mil. This is all new info. for me.

I am using a black, rubber water trough as a brooder, and will use it for their pond when they grow out of the brooder. It's probably about ummmm... 50-60 gallons. Not a large pond, but enough to swim around in, and dive under the water. Bought it at TSC. If you don't need anything very large, that could do it for you.

I'm actually going to cut a hole in the bottom of it, install a shower drain to some PVC pipe, add a ball-cock valve and build a sort of raised pond with a drain for them. Some work involved to set it up, but it will really nice to drain it into the garden area instead of siphon it through a garden hose!

If you are talking about the flexible pond liners for making free form ponds. I would not trust it to any claws. Not too difficult to poke holes in it. Also when I put in my pond it attracted every animal within hearing for a few months. I think a rigid form would be better.

BTW- I do not have ducks.

Imp- replacing the pond liner this year.

I used an old garden style bath tub on a hill, put a kiddie pool at the bottom of it so that when it drained over the side the water it fell into the kiddie pool. I had slit the sides of the kiddie pool to slide it under the tub, then put mortar mix between the tub and the pool to hook them up together. (had to dig the area out for each of these but since I picked a hill it was easy. (I'm 68 and did it myself)... I created a 2" drain pipe [which I drilled with small holes and then taped screen wire around. (The screen wire keeps the dirt from filling the pipe)]and laid it in the ground about a foot with a slow slant from the bottom of the kiddie pool to my garden for the ducks. (Let them fertilize their own garden and they leave mine alone) I hooked up the drain pipe by cutting a hole in the botton of the kiddie pool and added a regular shower drain and hooked it with another 2" pipe and an elbow joint...

The hardest part is getting the hole into the pool without a cicular cutting saw piece... After ruining the first kiddie I invested in the tool and attached it to my drill and away I went..... piece of cake....

I added rocks all around the sides, a small fountain on the top and now they have their own spa and garden......

Hard to find plants to put around it that looks good and they don't eat..!!!

pond1.jpg

BD.... before ducks, there were loads of greenery around the pond... the overflow on the left allows me to let the water run and cleans out the pond. The water flow creates a minature stream that waters a large and then a small queen palm. The water drain runs under the stream area, past the palms, to the duck garden, which at this time is naked since our Florida winter freezes...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom