Pond management

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by aja19919, Sep 3, 2011.

1. aja19919

aja19919 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2011
    I just got a 1000 gallon tank for my ducks [​IMG] It has a drain at the bottom. Does anyone have suggestions on how to properly manage this large size of 'pond' ? Do I get a pump and filtration system to help keep it clean? Do I get some special type of fish that eats duck poo and algae? Do I leave it above ground or try to dig a humungous hole for it? The thought of re-filling 1000 gallons each time give my pocketbook the willies. [​IMG]

Thank you
    Amy
    WA State

2. Oddyse

Oddyse Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Bristol
    This is an age old question when it comes to owning ducks. "How the hell do I keep it clean" Many people have tried different techniques. Im in the process of building my own filtration system now, because much like you, I have a huge pond, but its in the ground, so I have to pump the water out and refill it all the time. So I would definitely suggest a filter system. Wifezilla has done an amazing thread on all of this so may be worth you checking it out.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=146829&p=1

Good luck, and any new tips and tricks you discover along the way, feel free to share them with us! [​IMG]

3. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    My pond is ~1000 gallon that we built this spring. We have gone 2 months (with 2 ducks) without draining/cleaning/refilling. Ducks are still fine with it. I use a pool skimmer to get what poop I can from the bottom.
    We built a ~70 gallon skippy filter (maybe bigger) and have a pump going into that and it seems to help keep it from being very nasty

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=496237

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    1000 gallons isn't that much when your dealing with ponds. Both of mine were 1500 a piece and I considered them pretty small. Also this thread is from 2011..

5. TTeddy

TTeddy Out Of The Brooder

Thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by