Pond management

aja19919

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 22, 2011
I just got a 1000 gallon tank for my ducks
big_smile.png
It has a drain at the bottom. Does anyone have suggestions on how to properly manage this large size of 'pond' ? Do I get a pump and filtration system to help keep it clean? Do I get some special type of fish that eats duck poo and algae? Do I leave it above ground or try to dig a humungous hole for it? The thought of re-filling 1000 gallons each time give my pocketbook the willies.
sad.png

Thank you
Amy
WA State

This is an age old question when it comes to owning ducks. "How the hell do I keep it clean" Many people have tried different techniques. Im in the process of building my own filtration system now, because much like you, I have a huge pond, but its in the ground, so I have to pump the water out and refill it all the time. So I would definitely suggest a filter system. Wifezilla has done an amazing thread on all of this so may be worth you checking it out.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=146829&p=1

Good luck, and any new tips and tricks you discover along the way, feel free to share them with us!
big_smile.png

1000 gallons isn't that much when your dealing with ponds. Both of mine were 1500 a piece and I considered them pretty small. Also this thread is from 2011..

Back
Top Bottom