Pond size to prevent the need of filters

LundFamilyFarm

In the Brooder
Oct 31, 2023
Hi All,

I'm looking for thoughts and opinions on how large a duck pond should be for 15 ducks to prevent the need of filters. Ducks in the wild of course are in water without man-made filtration. Space is not limited, the current pond is .15 acres or 6,543 SQ FT. which would come to just under 49,000 gallons if the water were only 1 foot deep. I beleive the water is closer to 4 feet deep which brings us to around 195,000 gallons. SO, do we think this is ample size for 15 ducks/geese to thrive in and stay healthy to use as drinking water and bathing water? There will be an aireation system powered via windmill, so the water will have added oxygen to asist in good bacterial growth to break down duck waste and prevent bad microbes.

Any opinions would be helpful.

Thank you!

i think it sounds awesome! was it already there naturally or did you dig it?
The previous owners of the farm dug the pond and tied it into the drainage for the field. We don’t use any chemicals in our fields and our county dirt road doesn’t drop any chemicals for snow or ice removal either so the water that feeds the pond is clean and does get the chance to filter through the fields.

Back
Top Bottom