Pond pump, filter, energy source

Pnbjr

Hatching
Jun 13, 2020
I have a 6ft diameter 2ft deep plastic pond I am going to install. There will be 6 ducks unsung it. Does anyone have pump/filter suggestions? Pump size, biofilter? What to expect keeping it clean? 350 gallons is a lot to change out frequently .

Also, how much does it add to the electric bill? Would you recommend a solar panel?

Get 3 55 gallon drums to use as a filter. Whirlpool, lavarock or coconut fiber and one full of plants.
Thank you. I looked at what you suggested. Love the idea. I watched a few videos on the subject and think I can make this bio filter system work. 1 down (I think), possibly 2. With the model you suggested, I won’t need a pump with a filter. This leaves uv, unless a pump comes with one without a filter, and solar power questions. Thank you R. Paul

I dont think running a pond pump will add much to your electric bill. Certainly not enough to justify the cost and complexity of photovoltaics. If you cant run power to it that may be another matter. What are your remaining questions?

Thank you. I looked at what you suggested. Love the idea. I watched a few videos on the subject and think I can make this bio filter system work. 1 down (I think), possibly 2. With the model you suggested, I won’t need a pump with a filter. This leaves uv, unless a pump comes with one without a filter, and solar power questions. Thank you R. Paul
The part I left out is that my duck pen is about 70 feet from the house. So electrician and an added amount to to electric bill vs the parts for solar panels and battery. I am also not scientifically minded so how does one figure out the right sized pump so the intake from the pump is balanced with the return. Out of the pond, into container 1, out container 1 into container 2, out container 2 back to the pond. The pond will be 350 gallons, since it is a small pond, I am thinking 2 15 gallon barrels: 1 whirlpool set up the other the bio filter

If You set up your filter correctly you only need one pump that goes from the pond to first filter chamber and it should flow through the other chambers with gravity. You probably want at least 2 time the water volume in gallons per hour so 700 gph pump or more, you can always adjust the flow down with a valve. Filter volume should be minimum 10% of pond volume.

If You set up your filter correctly you only need one pump that goes from the pond to first filter chamber and it should flow through the other chambers with gravity. You probably want at least 2 time the water volume in gallons per hour so 700 gph pump or more, you can always adjust the flow down with a valve. Filter volume should be minimum 10% of pond volume.
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom