1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pondering ~ why?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by m2wandc, Apr 29, 2009.

1. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    I was just raising my baby chicks feeder to be a smidgen higher as recomended by some...and then I was pondering...WHY? don't chickens eat off the ground? ....why do you raise their food and water? ??? [​IMG]

2. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    because they will do everything they can to get the water and feed on the ground as well, meaning out of the feeder/water and all over making a mess.
    If you raise it alittle, they will use it in the feeder/waterer and not spread it all over
    wasting feed, getting bedding all wet (what I woke up to today)
    plus they tend to fill the waterer with bedding, soaking it in the tray as well, making me have to change their water multiple times a day
    After today's soaked bedding fiasco I put the waterers on top of a saucer, raising it a little and getting my china baptisted by chickies in the process.
    crazy chicks

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  3. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    good to have a more 'reasonable' answer...I was thinking it was because of a comfort level thing...but it's more for MY comfort of not having to change out the brooder stuff as often...gotch ya....

the water is a hassle because I have pebbles in there and the shavings get in, making me have to rinse the rocks and then it becomes an outside chore...I have to wash off a bunch of rocks with lots of effort... those darn wet shavings STICK to everything! LOL [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by