Ponds

flyingdragon

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 22, 2009
I have decided that I like ducks more than chickens. (Better foragers, quieter, better tasting eggs, better layers). I like the flavor of duck also, but I don't think I would eat it as regularly as chicken. Getting to the point. I have been thinking about a pond. I have low lying land and I think the ground water is not very deep. Where can I find resources that would help me to have a pond dug at the most reasonable cost. I am thinking books, mags, or websites. I am not talking about anything with a liner in it that is decorative but something that would support about 10 or so ducks, maybe 50' diameter. Any help is appreciated.

Check your local yellow pages. Construction and irragation companies. Best bet is look for a backhoe and get to digging or find someone you may know to do it. Pond digging can get expensive
smile.png

FLYingDragon-
Just wanna let u know just in case you dont already, that if you are located in a low-lands area, you may wanna check with your county about doing any kind of diggin with any large equiptment cause you could be seriously fined. My hubby and I owned a trucking & excavating co. (trackhoe,dozer,dumptruck) and we always had to have written permission to do any kind of digging, even on our own property. Which I think is a bunch of bull, but I just wanted to throw that out there to you so you don't get into any kind of trouble with your county. I know our County has so many stupid rules and ordinences, we really have to be careful. And I am not talkin small fines, Im talkin thousands of dollars for a fine.
Hope this helps, and as far as diggin yer pond I would just call someone that owns a excavator and they would have a pond dug for your ducks in no time at all.
FYI- the going rate for an excavator is 125.00hr. so don't let anyone rip you off.
hu.gif
(Wa. state)(one of the highest price state in the US)
he.gif

good luck,
T.

Thanks. I have a neighbor who owns a construction company and keeps some equipment at home (backhoes and such). This winter, he buried a cow for me. I know the hole was 8 feet deep and it was on high ground so no water. Wish me luck.

DuckDuckDuckGoose,
Thanks for the warning. I live in central NC in an area that has lost most of its rural charm due to a better than average job market (tech, big pharma, med, ed, gov't) resulting in suburban sprawl and accompanying zoning restrictions. My property has two water sheds which is where I was thinking about being the best site for the pond. I could be facing barriers but I won't know unless I try. darn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

I get ya! Thats all good, I was just throwin that out there in case you didn't know about County and all the crap that goes along with working around wet land areas.
It sounds like a good place you picked out. Hope it all comes together for you.
Thanks,
T.

Times are tough and the housing market is bad in a lot of areas so construction is down. You might want to call some local construction guys or place an ad on Craigs list, they might be willing to come dig your pond at a cheap price.

Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom